How to stop avahi-daemon from launching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard10250

Cadet
My system is FreeNAS 9.2.0 Release x64 running on an Intel MB (DQ965GF) with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 8 GBs ram. Six hard drives in ZFS Raidz2. The box is used to backup local PCs and to serve large video files to a separate XBMC PC. The only services running are CIFS and SMART.

My challenge is constant avahi-daemon error message 2471: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.1.XXX (one of the local client PCs). Also that same PC seems to suffer from high then normal pings times to any internet site when the FreeNAS server is running. It is my guess that the constant network traffic between the FreeNAS server and the PC are keeping the interface busy and pushing up the local PC’s ping times (without FreeNAS running ping = 80ms – with FreeNAS running ping = 300ms).

Stopping the avahi daemon service from the shell (service avahi-daemon stop) solves the issue and does not seem to cause any other issues. Of course when the box is rebooted the service starts again until the stop command is issued again.

Would appreciate any comments on the situation above and instructions on how to keep the avahi daemon from starting in the first place.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.