Printserver cups under debian linux (as vm) - avahi problem

nestor_78

Dabbler
Dear all,

I installed debian as a virtual machine and in that vm cups, in order to make a network printer which does not support bonjour itself reachable for Apple IOS devices.

After installation and configuring the printer (using ipp and a suitable ppd-file):
Cups is running and its admin webpage is reachable (https://198.xx.xx.xx:631). I am able to print test pages using the admin page. The printer is visible in the airprint dialog on my iphone in the beginning.

But after printing 1 (sometimes 2) jobs with airprint the printer is not reachable anymore from the iphone. I can solve that temporarily by restarting the avahi-daemon in the debian vm (systemctl restart avahi-daemon or systemctl restart cups). But after further 1-2 print jobs the printer is again not reachable for airprint.

I took note that truenas itself is using avahi. I assume that two avahi-daemons (1 in debian and the second under truenas) cause the problem. (Maybe only one bonjour-server is allowed on a network or if there are two of of them has to be a master and the otherone a slave???)

I did not find an option to disable avahi in the services section of truenas, though.

1. is avahi crucial for truenas or can I stop the service with systemctl stop avahi-daemon in the console of truenas?
2. Does anyone else experienced the problem and found a solution?

Best regards,
Nestor