SOLVED How to setup FreeNAS on a (partitioned) single SSD with boot and jails.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please copy & paste text and not a screen shot. But besides - that looks good. What's your problem? Do you have only one disk for boot? Not a mirror?

zierbeek

Explorer
Yes, fixed it in a code block, apologies.

I reboot but how can I create the pool with the extra room? I can't seem to find it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use gpart list ada0 to find the rawuuid for ada0p4. Then use zpool create <yourpoolname> gptid/<the-rawuuid> to create the pool. Without any redundancy this is quite risky, though.

Then use zpool export <yourpoolname> and finally import the pool from the UI.

zierbeek

Explorer
SOLVED: did not need to do the following commands, I could just import through the ui of truenas

First and foremost, thank you for your time! I get this error.

Code:
zpool create ssd gptid/1bd5436e-9781-11eb-b91a-d050992848c3
cannot use '/dev/gptid/1bd5436e-9781-11eb-b91a-d050992848c3': must be a block device or regular file

also tried this one:
Code:
zpool create ssd ada0p4/1bd5436e-9781-11eb-b91a-d050992848c3
cannot open 'ada0p4/1bd5436e-9781-11eb-b91a-d050992848c3': no such device in /dev
must be a full path or shorthand device name

The pool will be used to store my jails, so no problem if it dies. Will reinstall then.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So you already created the pool? Did you use the UUID when you did that? What does zpool status ssd result in?

zierbeek

Explorer
Online, I just followed the guide in the first post. No need to create the pool anymore. I just exported the 'jail' and imported it again in cli as ssd.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The guide is wrong in one way: it tells you to zpool create <poolname> nvd0p4. Or ada0p4, or whatever your matching device is. You should never do that in TrueNAS. Apart from the boot-pool always refer to disk via their gptid. The UI won't show your disks and the pool status correctly, otherwise. That's why I asked. The guide that I wrote respects that.

zierbeek

Explorer
hmm allright, I get it. Have you rewritten the whole guide or are you referring to you statements above?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The guide in this thread is not mine. But in the second posting from the top I linked to mine.

Quote:

10. Create a new pool in the available space

Again we will need the command line, when we are finished the pool will be available in the GUI like any other:
Code:
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -a 1m ada4
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -a 1m ada5
gpart list ada4
gpart list ada5

Look for these in the output of the gpart list command:
Code:
3. Name: ada4p3
[...]
rawuuid: 25fe934a-19d6-11ea-82a1-ac1f6b76641c
[...]
3. Name: ada5p3
[...]
rawuuid: 3fc8e29a-19d0-11ea-9848-ac1f6b76641c

Now create the pool - use the UUIDs from the previous step:
Code:
zpool create ssd mirror gptid/25fe934a-19d6-11ea-82a1-ac1f6b76641c gptid/3fc8e29a-19d0-11ea-9848-ac1f6b76641c

Last we export the pool from the command line:
Code:
zpool export ssd

11. Import the new pool from the GUI

daftu

Cadet
I found the issue, it's a buggy error message, but the issue is difference in block size between devices, as discussed here.

Is there any workaround for this?
I also get:
zpool attach boot-pool /dev/da13p2 /dev/da0p3
cannot attach /dev/da0p3 to /dev/da13p2: can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks

Lemming

Cadet
Hey all,

I just stumbled across a much easier way to do this, that also works for UEFI booting NVME devices.

Basically I did the normal install procedure as per the start of this guide, but when I did I selected both the USB drive and the SSD at the drive selection step.

After running through the installer I shut the machine down and immediately unplugged the USB then booted it off the SSD alone.

I then opened shell and ran the remaining steps listed below (on nvd0).

#ssd drive - add jail partition - will be ada0p4
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l jail0 ada0

#setup jail pool
zpool create jail /dev/ada0p4
umount /jail
zpool export jail

#wait for resilver! run 'zpool status' to check status
zpool offline freenas-boot /dev/da0p2
zpool detach freenas-boot /dev/da0p2

Rebooted the machine once more, logged into the UI and was able to import the jail pool and start using it, everything seems to be working fine and it's certainly a lot simpler.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Lemming Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Minor improvement, though:
Don't use zpool create jail /dev/ada0p4 but use zpool create jail gptid/<rawuuid of ada0p4> instead.

Reason:

GuiPoM

Cadet
Hi !

Sorry for asking, I am not so familiar with TrueNAS and freebsd and zfs, and I guess what I am asking here might be technically not possible, but this topic is exactly what I was looking for.

Imagine you own a nice 500Gb m2 SSD. And that you would l already populated your SATA slots, so you rely on this SSD to run everything. That topic is a great start.
But would it make sense, if it is technically possible, to have a cache and OS sharing the same physical drive ?
I know from my little knowledges on proxmox that from zpool command, you can add a cache from a partition, rather than a full physical drive.

Would it makes sense, if someone knows how to proceed, to enhance these steps with that option ?

It would be great to have OS + jails + cache on one SSD, and buy 2...4 drives for storage. This remains cheap, maybe not the most reliable you can expect, but good enough for average use, I guess.

(I really hope this question is not stupid ! ^^)
Thanks !

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@GuiPoM What most people new to ZFS think of as a cache device in reality isn't one.

1. There is no write cache device in ZFS. At all. An SLOG is not a write cache device.
2. An L2ARC is a read cache device. But maintaining the accounting for that read cache needs RAM. So unless you already have 64 GB of memory or more the fact that using an L2ARC will eat into your memory and hence your primary cache by far outweighs the possible benefits of the L2ARC. Your performance will probably get worse.

Specifically #2 and the "64 GB" figure are of course rules of thumb, but in most cases really don't think about "cache" - put more memory into the box if technically feasible and if you can afford it.

Now, what to do with that nice completely oversized SSD? This thread mainly revolves around the way to partition it (which Free/TrueNAS does not support right away) into a boot device and another zpool. Which gives you an SSD backed zpool in addition to your SATA HDD backed one.

You can put jails/plugins ("containers" in which you can run anything that runs on FreeBSD) on that pool, e.g. the Nextcloud application while the data resides on your HDD pool. Or you can put VMs on that pool to run Linux or Windows VMs.

And you can protect yourself from loss of all those things by replicating the jails/plugins/VMs on that single non-redundant SSD to your HDD pool, like, hourly. Or at least daily. That's cheap in terms of storage and computing resources.

So what I would recommend: unless you run a large system in an enterprise environment - but then you would not be asking about a single, not mirrored SSD - forget the "cache" idea. But if you want to run additional applications on your TrueNAS, read the whole of this thread and you can use your SSD to significantly speed these up. Just don't forget the replication to some redundant pool :wink:

GuiPoM

Cadet
Many thanks. It makes a lot more sense now that I can read it. I thought adding a cache on my Raid-z would help it.

And you are right. This is a home NAS I am running. So a Pentium Gold G6400 (4Ghz, so quite powerful, but not highly hyperthreaded) and 16Gb or RAM, which is maybe not that much for TrueNAS, but is already I guess a very good start.

Again, thanks for that clarification. Maybe I will not be the only one wondering if it could have been an option here !

wipe contents (SSD is ada0)
Excellent article. Thank you for the step by step guide.

Had a similar scenario, with the addition of a second SSD. Was setting up mirrored boot with two 250 GB SSD and wanted to use unused portion for jail. Followed all steps from seltz upto step '#ssd drive - add jail partition - will be ada0p4' for both SSD. Then created a mirrored pool with two partitions for jail. This is for TrueNAS. Note that, needed to use boot-pool for turenas vs freenas-boot for freenas.

All steps are listed below. Copying seltz's (thanks seltz) steps for completeness.

Steps:
1. Install TrueNAS onto USB drive B as normal.
2. Boot TrueNAS from USB drive B.
3. From here, run the following commands (running these one-by-one)

#ssd drive - wipe contents (First SSD is ada0, Second SSD is ada1)
gpart destroy -F /dev/ada0
gpart destroy -F /dev/ada1

#ssd drive - setup gpt partitioning scheme
gpart create -s gpt ada0
gpart create -s gpt ada1

#ssd drive - setup boot partition
# and embed bootstrap code in
# partition scheme metadata
# note: i follow gpart's manpage advice on making the size 472
# so the swap partition will be aligned correctly.

gpart add -b 40 -s 472 -t freebsd-boot ada0
gpart add -b 40 -s 472 -t freebsd-boot ada1

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada1

#ssd drive - add swap partition at first available offset - will be ada0p2, ada1p2
gpart add -s 16g -t freebsd-swap -l swap0 ada0
gpart add -s 16g -t freebsd-swap -l swap0 ada1

#ssd drive - add boot partition - will be ada0p3, ada1p3 (I had allocated 32g, probably not needed)
gpart add -s 16g -t freebsd-zfs -l root0 ada0
gpart add -s 16g -t freebsd-zfs -l root0 ada1

#ssd drive - add jail partition - will be ada0p4, ada1p4
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l jail0 ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l jail0 ada1

Steps below are bit different from post above (colored text):

#setup jail pool
zpool create jail mirror /dev/ada0p4 /dev/ada1p4
umount /jail
zpool export jail

#setup boot as mirror from our usb drive (usb drive B is da0, da0p2 is the boot-pool)
zpool attach boot-pool /dev/da0p2 /dev/ada0p3
zpool attach boot-pool /dev/da0p2 /dev/ada1p3

#wait for resilver! run 'zpool status' to check status

4. Reboot/remove usb drive B, and boot from SSD. You will need to import the 'jail' pool within the truenas GUI before setting up jails.

Thanks.

I only have one SSD drive in my server. Can I still follow these directions only not mirror the ssd drive because there is only 1? I do have a second 6TB Western SSD I can plug in the other USB, should I plug that in first and then I can run the mirror commands? Sorry, I am a newbie.

h3nk3t

Cadet
Hi there everyone

Is this awesome guide still Up to date?
I really wanna use the whole disk that in my case would be a WD Black Nvme m.2 500GB.
Both for boot and and jails.

Possible?

Thanks everyone / sweden

Last edited:

sretalla