How to setup a vlan !!?? in TrueNAS SCALE

Louis2

Contributor
Hello,

I have been using vlan's for ages ...... but for some stupid reason!, I do not manage to define a vlan in TrueNAS SCALE (RC2) ........

Normally
- I define a vlan (no IP-address)
- a bridge and assign the vlan to the bridge (no IP-address)
- the vlan is of course related to a subnet lets say 192.168.a.0/24 and a gateway lets say 192.168.a.1
- some application connected to the bridge listening to one or more ip's

However ...... using scale, if I define a vlan ..... I have to add an IP (what I do not want)
and even if I do so it does not work .....

The stupid thing (scale) needs to check if the vlan is OK, .... however since I did not define, or even had the option to define, the gateway
that fails! And as a consequence the change is will be rolled back :mad:
Note that the "SCALE" has a default gateway, however that gateway is only and really only! related to one (v)lan, beeing the lan used for the GUI

So I tried to start with defining a bridge ..... no success as well

So I defined a static route, in order to define the gateway ... no success as well

I tried DHCP (not that I would like to use that, later on .. however lets try .... no success

So all in all I feel terribly , really terribly stupid .....

Hopefully, someone can explain how this works in TrueNAS SCALE

Louis
PS. I noticed that mDNS and WS-Discovery messages are send, however IMHO those protocols are not needed to setup an connection. The same holds for the old Netbios.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
You don't have to define IP for vlan. I have plenty of vlans defined with no IP and just checked if RC2 (since I have them defined since RC1.2) still allows you to and was able to define vlan without IP no problem.

The test to verify network settings is only testing if after applying you still have access to the web UI. It does not check for gateway, ip or anything else.

I have vlans with bridges with no IP and VMs connected to them and everything works as expected.

1. go to Network in web ui
  2. click Add
    1. Type: VLAN
    2. Name: vlan# (where # is a number)
    3. Parent Interface: your interface connected to port on the switch that passes tagged traffic for a given vlan
    4. Vlan Tag: vlan tag
  3. Apply
  4. Test Changes > Confirm
  5. wait
  6. Save Changes
  7. click Add again
    1. Type: Bridge
    2. Name: br# (where # is a number)
    3. Bridge Members: vlan# you just created
  8. Apply
  9. Test Changes > Confirm
  10. wait
  11. Save Changes
  12. Profit

Last edited:

Louis2

Contributor
Am I nuts!?

Attachments

• IPAddressIsNeeded.JPG
    IPAddressIsNeeded.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,124
  • ChangesHaveToTested.JPG
    ChangesHaveToTested.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,157

ClassicGOD

Contributor
That message usually pops up if you try to remove IP assignment for all interfaces or try to create configuration that would result in loss of communication. While I can't say 100% that this is not a bug I also don't know what you are trying to do.

You have to have IP for UI set up on at least one interface. Other interfaces, vlans or bridges do not require IP.

Louis2

Contributor
Hereby the expanded view on "IP-address" needed. Note that:
- this system has three physical interfaces 1x2,5G (not used) and 2x10G (x550)
- one x550 port is at this moment connected without vlans. It is "the initial interface" I am using to configure the system
- the other x550 port is the trunk, intended to carry multiple vlans
Which up to now I did not manage to define ...

Attachments

• IPAddressIsNeeded2.JPG
    IPAddressIsNeeded2.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,170

Louis2

Contributor
I found the problem.

The system thinks it is smart ......
- the GUI is using interface1, which I use as initial startup interface, automatically populated during initialization by my DHCP-server
- however I did not explicit define that interface via the GUI ......
- then I try to define the VLAN's for the trunk
- and since the ^clever software^ try's to protect me against losing the GUI .... it forbid me make the change .....
- which is nonsense of course
- more over the test suggests it is testing the configured interface ..... which is absolute nonsense !!

And since the interface test can not be tested in most situations anyway, the test should only be given as an option
.... if there is any change it can be performed .....

ClassicGOD

Contributor
I found the problem.

The system thinks it is smart ......
- the GUI is using interface1, which I use as initial startup interface, automatically populated during initialization by my DHCP-server
- however I did not explicit define that interface via the GUI ......
- then I try to define the VLAN's for the trunk
- and since the ^clever software^ try's to protect me against losing the GUI .... it forbid me make the change .....
- which is nonsense of course
- more over the test suggests it is testing the configured interface ..... which is absolute nonsense !!

And since the interface test can not be tested in most situations anyway, the test should only be given as an option
.... if there is any change it can be performed .....
Hah, I was jus testing VLANs on separate second interface (in my config I have everything trunked on one) to check it for you. Good to know you found the issue. I was just about to ask you to configure the main interface with static IP.