How to set up "shares" with CORE?... Not seeing a "share type" option in Dataset...

What is the name of the share? Not the "path" or the "server" or the "host". The share name itself.

Turbonium

Dabbler
What is the name of the share? Not the "path" or the "server" or the "host". The share name itself.

It's the same name as my dataset that is attached to the pool. So say the name is ShareName.

I tried:

\\my.ip.add.ress\ShareName

Didn't work.

Also, I understand "share name" as what it says under "Name" in the Windows Shares (SMB) menu (underneath where it says Samba).

Turbonium

Dabbler
What is the error message you receive when you try it like this?

Same as without the extra bit at the end of the IP...

1704643341191.png

Turbonium

Dabbler
Why are you trying to connect to your SMB share through the Google Chrome web browser? :oops:

You know, sometimes I wonder about myself.

I really do.

I really really do.

1704643621215.png

Honestly though, I could have sworn I had tried it with Explorer earlier, but probably had configured something incorrectly at the time. Then, between fixing the config and now, I somehow "migrated" over to my Web browser, without noticing.

Just, yeah...

Turbonium

Dabbler
SMB and Permissions settings take care of everything. My relatively vanilla setup works without giving me any issues that I know about.

You have nothing for computers on your network under the Windows Credentials tab?
View attachment 74296
I have absolutely nothing under Windows Credentials.

"No Windows credentials."
Still, does anyone know if this here (my having no Windows credentials of any kind on my system) is an issue, generally speaking?

Still, does anyone know if this here (my having no Windows credentials of any kind on my system) is an issue, generally speaking?
Not really an issue, no.

It's just used to cache your credentials, so that the next time you try to access the same share, you don't need to enter the username/password.

Redcoat

MVP
I agree with @winnielinnie that it's not likely the key, but it might be a symptom of some networking anomaly. I have no idea what.

Have you had a windows network (SMB) up and running prior to starting out with this TrueNAS server?

Actually, I'll repeat here a question of WinnieLinnie's that's still open - please tell us about your server and your windows client where you don't have the credentials dicussed above, full hardware and OS descriptions for each, also for your network.