How to set up ddns for cloudflare

SSTwo

Cadet
Hello everyone

Sorry, my English is not good, I use machine translation.

I did not find the provider of cloudflare in the built-in ddns service of the system.

I tried to install ddclient using apt, but all this will be lost after the system update.
I tried to use docker to run ddclient, but I could not get the network card information.

Does anyone recommend a good way to achieve my goal?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS is an appliance, and you are not supposed to be trying to install things with "apt" or anything else.

CloudFlare is generally used for public Internet hosting purposes, and is not a particularly obvious choice for DDNS services. You could either pick a supported DDNS option, or file a bug report asking for CloudFlare to be added.

k0stya

Cadet
Hello everyone

Sorry, my English is not good, I use machine translation.

I did not find the provider of cloudflare in the built-in ddns service of the system.

I tried to install ddclient using apt, but all this will be lost after the system update.
I tried to use docker to run ddclient, but I could not get the network card information.

Does anyone recommend a good way to achieve my goal?

Exactly the same problem! There seems to be a solution via GitHub docker(oznu/docker-cloudflare-ddns). But I don't understand how to configure it to work.

Tronix117

Cadet
Since, the only available providers for certificate authenticator are CloudFlare and Route53, it makes a lot of sense to have both of them as DynDNS providers...

BoomShaka

Dabbler
The way I've implemented this is by having a "scripts" dataset in which I have various folders which hold bash scripts. Then I set up a cron job through the GUI to run the scripts.

Specifically for this use case, I've downloaded the contents of this github to "path to scripts"/scripts/ddns-updater/ , then tweaked the config file and then made a cron job with the command bash "path to scripts"/scripts/ddns-updater/update-cloudflare-dns.sh. Then I have this running every hour just so it doesn't run too often. This method has persisted through a system update since it's completely through the GUI so that the system doesn't get mad at you. For reference this has been running fine on my system for over 3 months.

*Truecharts also seems to have a DDNS app that may help you but it have not checked that out personally yet.

k0stya

Cadet
Here's a link to the discord chat room. They helped me solve the problem here.

DDNS

jonasd

Cadet
Since, the only available providers for certificate authenticator are CloudFlare and Route53, it makes a lot of sense to have both of them as DynDNS providers...
I was thinking the same thing...
The reason behind it is that I want all my devices under a topological network, where some would be exposed publicly (including one for TNS).

Given that I already had to provide credentials suitable to do such an update, I expected it to be baked in.
Will file a bug report if it didn't happen yet