how to set NFSv4 permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergey07

Cadet
I cannot understand how to set proper permissions for NVSv4.
I set NFS share and if I mount it by using NFSv3 the permissions are correct.
But if I mount it by using NFSv4 the group and user permissions are 32767.
I am using NFSv3 model for NFSv4; I expected that permissions will be the same as they were for v3.
I tried to switch to 'Support > 16 groups' but it did not help either.
If I understand correctly the problem is with 'nfsuserd' that incorrectly identifies the domain.
But I thought that NFSv3 model should resolve this problem.
I set my server name 'freenas.home', my workstation is pcbsd10.home; I expected that they should match, if 'nfsuserd' is used.
The structure of directories is /mnt/MEDIA/Movies, NFSv4 root is '/', 'Movies' is also shared as NFSv3.
If I mount 'Movies' as v3 then files have proper permission but if I mount '/mnt/MEDIA/Movies' as v4 the permissions are incorrect.
NFS has 'Enable NFSv4' and 'NFSv3 ownership...' checked. 'Movies' has 'Maproot user' set to root and 'All directories' checked.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Out of curiosity have you configured the NFS Service? Thinking about the "NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4" checkbox option...

Per the manual:
The “NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4” checkbox has been added to Services→NFS

I tried to switch to 'Support > 16 groups' but it did not help either.
Also the informational next to it states:
Use the NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4. This circumvents the need to sync users and groups between the client and server. Note that this option is mutually incompatible with the > 16 groups option

Sergey07

Cadet
NFS has 'EnableNFSv4' and 'NFSv3 ownership...' checked.
This is what I wrote in my previous post.
An of course I reboot freenas
And the users are the same, and some of files have root/ wheel but they also reported with incorrect permissions

Last edited:

styno

Patron
NFS has 'EnableNFSv4' and 'NFSv3 ownership...' checked.
Can your client handle this? On RHEL (based) machines this is toggled in /sys/module/nfs/parameters/nfs4_disable_idmapping (Y by default from my tests).
I guess you only want to use v4 if the application really requires it.

philhu

Patron
Has anyone worked this out? My nfs volume does not have v4 checked. But the idmapping always comes out at the mapall user and group. If I do not set these, the system uses nobody:nobody.

If I try to change it with chmod, as root, I get 'Changing owner: Operation not permitted'

It seems to work fine on Synology and QNAP servers

Why is it not allowed to change a nfsver3 volume file/directory ownership?

philhu

Patron
If you could that would be great. It DOES seem to be a NFS Permission error, when they added the v3 mapping feature.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've worked with quite a few TrueNAS customers that use NFSv4. It works just fine. It does require you to know your stuff, above and beyond just using NFSv3.

I won't lie, its not something that I would call "trivially used" if you've never used NFSv4 and expect it to work like NFSv3. It will work fine if you know how to use it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.