Another question about ACLs... sharing NFSv4 and SMB

shewless

Dabbler
Hi,
I've read up on the subject. Namely:
Methods for fine tuning samba permissions

I have questions.

1. Does setting a the sharing mode to "Windows" on a data set just set "Aclmode=restricted"?
-- Is it really "windows" or just "zfs non trivial acl mode"
2. If I want to share a dataset with NFSv4 and SMB will both "automagically" honor the ACLs I setup using setfacl (assuming "Windows" share mode is set)?
3. Same question but with NFSv3. From what I've read NFSv3 doesn't honor the ZFS ACLs by default but maybe it's been tuned on FreeNAS?

Thank you in advance if you can help me with these questions.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,
I've read up on the subject. Namely:
Methods for fine tuning samba permissions

I have questions.

1. Does setting a the sharing mode to "Windows" on a data set just set "Aclmode=restricted"?
-- Is it really "windows" or just "zfs non trivial acl mode"
2. If I want to share a dataset with NFSv4 and SMB will both "automagically" honor the ACLs I setup using setfacl (assuming "Windows" share mode is set)?
3. Same question but with NFSv3. From what I've read NFSv3 doesn't honor the ZFS ACLs by default but maybe it's been tuned on FreeNAS?

Thank you in advance if you can help me with these questions.
In general, it's better to just stick with SMB. The linux SMB client is very good, and it will make file change notifications, locking, etc, 'just work'. As far as the ACLs go, they're on the filesystem. Everything has to honor them (even if the application doesn't understand them).

shewless

Dabbler
In general, it's better to just stick with SMB. The linux SMB client is very good, and it will make file change notifications, locking, etc, 'just work'. As far as the ACLs go, they're on the filesystem. Everything has to honor them (even if the application doesn't understand them).
Thanks. I'm really trying to understand this. So perhaps my question #1 is the only one unanswered if #2 and #3 aren't relevant.

@anodos can you give me an example of trouble I would run into sharing both SMB and NFS?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks. I'm really trying to understand this. So perhaps my question #1 is the only one unanswered if #2 and #3 aren't relevant.

@anodos can you give me an example of trouble I would run into sharing both SMB and NFS?
Windows datasets have a different default ACL and aclmode
As far as trouble goes - I will only give one example: some SMB clients (MacOS for example) exclusively relies on file change notifications from the SMB server. Changes from the NFS side won't generate these.