How to seriously waste space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valvolainen

Dabbler
I1've recently tried out freenas, and absolutely loved it. So we're going steady from now on.
I have kind of a stupid setup I think, I have 22 sff drives, and using 4 x raidz2 as a 'system' disk set. (own zpool)
The rest is spread amongst 12x300 and 6x600gb drives.
I use clusters of 6 to minimize replacement cost, and also I added raidz2 for reliability.
I have 7 slots available so I can insert a new vdev with 2tb drives soon.
I thought I had enough to make a good start with my 12x300+6x600 drives, but alas.
in the top matrix, drives with printed sizes.
The bottom matrix, sizes (included loss of 2gb swap) as gpart sees the drives.

[data@freenas ~/Media]$ zpool list
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
data 6.51T 1.53T 4.97T - 11% 23% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 23.05.35.png

When I was thinking about setting up a system, I just wasn't thinking.
From a n-2 setup with 6 drives I was just not prepared to end up with less than 50% raw capacity for my sinister purposes. when I add 6*2tb*raidz2 drives later, I will end up with no more than slightly above 50% usable space, to be excact 17724gb rax vs 9453gb usable. To add to this horrible spreadsheet from hell, there the considerable higher cost of 2,5" drives, almost twice the price as 3,5 drives.

I started out thinking I should find a way to replace my non-redundant 'just-a-bunch-of-disks-on-a-linux-lvm' solution in use today, but the problem is that I've got 7TB of data stored there, so what I would need as a minimum is to scrap my current plan and get two 600GB drives off ebay, and go for 8x2000GB+8x300gb+8x600gb. All in all I will end up with 12,8 usable tb's, (21,416 raw) which menas all my current data can fit and there's room to grow.

So, 8 x 2tb 2,5 will set me back the same amount of money that 8*3tb 3.5 will. With the latter I get 13296GB usable, not counting any of my existing 2.5drives. Why the hell did I go for a 2.5shelf?? The smartest thing to do I think is to start with an empty msa60 shelf...

It's hard facing reality, on a friday no less.
Or maybe I should do both?
Survive on 6 x 2tb 2,5", secure my data i bit more than today, than when next expansion is duein a year or so, add an msa60 shelf with 3,5 drives and possible just replace the smallest vdev or go nuts and add one more vdev. Food for thought guys, food for thought.

/rant

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've got a 24 bay Supermicro SC216 (2.5"). It's not quite full yet, but it has 21 2TB drives. Three are spares. The remaining 18 are arranged as six three-wide mirrors, giving 12TB space. Of that, since this is used for VM storage, only about 6TB would actually stand a good chance of being usable.

So 42TB raw-->6TB useful.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, it's really throwing a boatload of resources at the problem. While stress-testing it, it has been a little bit of a disappointment in terms of performance, but it *is* a HDD based unit and it is probably shy on RAM as well. I have little doubt that it'll be pleasant to work with in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.