RaidZ configuration advice for upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjieke

Contributor
Hi all,

After reading a lot of threads about ECC ram and the like, I finally have the budget to upgrade my current low-budget NAS. Current setup has a 4 x 2TB RaidZ1 pool.

New hardware is: ASROCK C2750D4I (octa core avaton) with 16GB ECC RAM + 5 new 3TB WD Red drives.

The idea was to use 8 drives and have 1 spare. The problem is that I think that one of my 2TB drives is failing (SMARTD mails + performance drops and gstat telling that same disk is always very busy with +2000ms/read). Since I already have the drives, but not yet the other parts, I will use my planned '3 TB spare' to replace the failing one.

After explaining the context I would like some advice on configuring the pools in the new server when it arrives. I should also mention that I have about 3TB of data currently on the NAS and a 1TB external USB drive with the critical data (like pictures, financial documents) backed up. The rest contains my media library which I would prefer to keep of course :)

How I see it I have the following options:

1. 1vdev with 4x3TB raidz1 + 1 vdev with (3 x 2TB, 1 x 3TB) raidz1 = 1 pool with 15 TB usable space
  • Migrating is easy: create vdev with 3TB disks, move data, add second vdev to the pool
  • Future expanding:
    • Replace remaing 2 TB drives with 3 TB => 18 TB usable
    • Add additional RaidZ1 vdev of 4 drives (and buy a bigger case)
    • Replace drives in batches of 4
  • Threads and the manual say Raid5/RaidZ1 should be avoided with larger drives.
2. 1vdev with (5 x 3TB + 3 x 2TB) raidz2 = 1 pool with 12 TB usable space
  • Since I will need all 8 drives to create and only have 1 TB available for backup I would lose a large part of my media collection
    • Possible solution: Use 1 of the 3 TB disks to backup my media collection and the failing 2 TB disk to create the RaidZ2. Move data to the pool and then replace the failing 2 TB disk with the 3 TB one.
  • Future expanding:
    • Replace remaing 2 TB drives with 3 TB => 18 TB usable
    • Replace drives in batches of 8
    • Add additional RaidZ2 vdev of 6 drives (and buy a bigger case and expansion slot for sata ports)
  • RaidZ2 is recommended for larger drives

So the question is: is my reasoning correct and the solution marked in red do-able? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.