Expanding zpool capacity

theaddies

Contributor
Forgive the question folks as I know this topic goes around and around. I have 6 2TB drives in RAIDZ2. I was thinking of adding another 2 drives to the pool. I know I could create another Vdev, but I would rather not do that. If I store the data elsewhere, I assume I can create a new zpool with the 8 2TB disks. My specific question is what backups or snapshots do I need to make to keep all of my settings that I currently have. Essentially I want to keep everything the same but just add 2 disks to the existing pool. Thanks in advance for the response.

EDIT: I perhaps should also add that I have a couple of jails that I would also simply like to replicate.

Last edited:
Ideally, you want to replicate the volume to a disk (preferably a mirror) with sufficient capacity. Assuming you've filled up the usable space, an 8TB disk/mirror should do the trick assuming your drive bays support 8TB disks. Replication ensures you retain all the structures within the volume including file and folder ownership and permissions.

theaddies

Contributor
Ideally, you want to replicate the volume to a disk (preferably a mirror) with sufficient capacity. Assuming you've filled up the usable space, an 8TB disk/mirror should do the trick assuming your drive bays support 8TB disks. Replication ensures you retain all the structures within the volume including file and folder ownership and permissions.
Thanks. So I would just use 1 8TB disk to replicate and then essentially replicate back again to the new larger pool.

In principle, it should work, but I suggest you wait for at least a second opinion from the brains trust on this forum.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It will work, but if you replicate to a single-disk 8TB pool, you do expose your data to risk of corruption while it lives there. Ideally, you'd have that 8TB pool be a mirror of 2x8TB or some other solution to provide redundancy while you destroy the 6x2TB and create the new 8x2TB.

As far as the jails, I have a sneaking suspicion they'll break. Backing up their internal configuration, destroying and recreating them might be the best solution - although, if the "new 8x2tb" pool will have the same name as the old one, with the same mount points for the jails, etc, then it might work.

Just be aware that, unless you have more than 8 bays to work with, you will need a second FreeNAS server to replicate back.

theaddies

Contributor
I have a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O in a desktop rig. I have plenty of room.

theaddies

Contributor
I have one more simple question about this. I assume that in order to do the replicate task I must have a configured a second pool to which I would replicate?

pro lamer

Guru
I also guess the PSU has some power left for the two extra disks (or one) - I guess because it's just two disks... Edit: However I don't know the setup so treat it rather as a warning and not like something intended to calm down...

Sent from my phone