How to Reduce Class C Calls With Backblaze Syncing?

ekarni

Explorer
I have a FreeNAS server running FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1.

I tried setting up an automatic tasks that syncs up the server with a Backblaze endpoint to backup my files offsite. I keep getting hit with "Class C Transactions Cap Reached 100%". If I increase the limit, the backup works, but I'd like to know if that is the only solution to the problem.

I've spoken with Backblaze support, and they said I should ask if there is a way to minimize those Class C Calls?

Here is what Backblaze support said.
Looking over the account I see it is the free amount, 2,500, as outlined here: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/b2-transactions-price.html
I also note, that yes, as of this reply, and the day before, that about 8-10 thousand Class C Calls are being attempted, resulting in this issue.

To help with this, there are a couple ways to address it.
A) Increase the Class C Call Cap to pay for a few more per-day, allowing those Calls to be made
&/or
B) ask with rClone(or FreeNAS) why so many Calls are happening & how to reduce them, so the Cap isnt hit.
(We recommend asking them, as they wrote the software making the Calls, so would be the best to help troubleshoot that specifically)

That was initially, before it managed to complete one full upload. Now, it is requiring 265,083 calls.

ekarni

Explorer
use-fast-list option in the sync task?
I'm really sorry but I'm new to FreeNAS and servers in general. Could you elaborate on this? Is this something I should add to the task in the arguments or something?

HeMaN68

Dabbler
I am on truenas core 12.0-u1 and this is one of the options you can tick in the sync task

HeMaN68

Dabbler
this is what I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-214126_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-214126_Opera.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 209

ekarni

Explorer
What extension is hiding options? I'm using U5 and my theme is the dark theme shown in the manual.

Edit: well how embarrassing my live system is still on FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

Last edited:

ekarni

Explorer
The webapp is already in dark mode, so I think that was the issue to be honest. I just disabled the extension on that webapp and it works fine now

ekarni

Explorer

So I got it working for about 2 days, and without touching the task itself or anything really, now it crashes and fails the sync. This is the log I see; any suggestions?

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 349, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 385, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/cloud_sync.py", line 1028, in sync
await rclone(self.middleware, job, cloud_sync)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/cloud_sync.py", line 229, in rclone
raise ValueError(message)
ValueError: rclone failed with exit code 2

Well now... that was unexpected......
I set mine to use fast list the same time i posted the link to the manual and so far have not seen that error, checked Jira for bugs and I see a similar rclone failure
looks like it was pushed back a couple versions but is currently marked as completed.

ekarni

Explorer
Well now... that was unexpected......
I set mine to use fast list the same time i posted the link to the manual and so far have not seen that error, checked Jira for bugs and I see a similar rclone failure
looks like it was pushed back a couple versions but is currently marked as completed.
Oh WOW! So this is a documented issue that was already fix? I'm just waiting on the update to be live then?

What should I do in the mean time to fix the issue or sidestep it for now somehow?

You should probably ask about that on the Jira bug report as well as what version this was fixed in, I don't see the problem on FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 so... I have no idea how to deal with it sorry.
You did not get the error with fast-list off right?

ekarni

Explorer
You should probably ask about that on the Jira bug report as well as what version this was fixed in, I don't see the problem on FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 so... I have no idea how to deal with it sorry.
You did not get the error with fast-list off right?

I got a different error with fast-list cause I kept hitting my Call C Call limit.
To make things more... interesting; I just decided to rerun the task without restarting or changing anything, and it worked this time. So at this moment in time, I'm totally confused and thinking of getting a goat to sacrifice to whatever god is playing tricks on me haha! That's the only logical explanation left I think.