How to recover partially broken config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guglez

Explorer
Hi,

My config file was partially broken (possiblu because of the broken USB drive). I had FreeNAS 9.3 and it was partially fine. It was working but some GUI menus were unavailable. Yesterday I updated to 9.10 and now situation is even worse. Instead of login I see this:
Code:
{"message": "Error: no such column: system_settings.stg_sysloglevel", "events": [], "error": true}

Also I can't login via SSH. Only jails are working. How to proceed here? Most critical data and labour I invested into my jails. How can I recover/reinstall my server? I want to keep my jails (with their configuration like mounted folders, IP etc) and data. Is it possible to keep other settings?

Can I put the default values to my config instead of missing tables/values?

D

dlavigne

Install the same version to a new stick. Do you know if you had a backup of a good config, either saved on a separate system or on the system dataset on the pool? If so, you can restore the saved config after reinstall.

guglez

Explorer
All my backups are also corrupted. That means that I do not have a backup of my config.

Отправлено с моего HTC Desire EYE через Tapatalk

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
All my backups are also corrupted. That means that I do not have a backup of my config.

Configs are really small, always backup to multiple systems and have some sort of error correction in place. Your best bet at that point is to reinstall, import your volumes (assuming they aren't affected by the corrupted configs) and start from there. Should only take a minute to launch shares back up and get to a usable state and a little while after that get back to where you were. I have a local backup, Google Drive, and Dropbox for my configs since they're all well under any sort of paid plan that's never a worry. If you DO have ECC RAM, you can attempt to scrub the boot volume but if you don't that will probably make things worse. Best luck to you bud, keep backups of that stuff in the future to save yourself this exact headache :)

guglez

Explorer
Yes I have ECC ram. I'm not worried about the data. It's there and critical parts were backed up. I'm worried about jails and their config. What will happen with them if i reinstall freenas and import my pool with jail root folder?

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
If the jails reside on your data volume and not boot volume, just recreate them and point them to the same storage directory. They'll still be there and shouldn't lead you to anymore problems than just the setup.

guglez

Explorer
If the jails reside on your data volume and not boot volume, just recreate them and point them to the same storage directory. They'll still be there and shouldn't lead you to anymore problems than just the setup.
That's the thing. I have around 20 jails and I do not remember which folders were mounted and where. Also I do not remember their IP's.

guglez

Explorer
Some good news. I connected monitor to the server and booted to the old environment. Now I can see web interface and I can ssh into the system.

How can I get the jail configuration and the jail storage configuration? Which useful parts of the configuration can I extract manually from CLI to minimize efforts/research needed after a fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.