Recover config from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

boota

Cadet
I've had a working FreeNAS system for a 1+ years. Upgraded to 9.3, everything working great. Due to some power issues my machine fickered off and on a bunch. Now the USB boot drive I was using appears to be hosed....the system will boot up to a point (just past networking) and eventually turn off.

To test hardware vs software, I used a fresh install on a new USB drive and the system is fine.

I'd like to understand what process I might go through to recover the configuration from the old USB (if its possible). I can use the old USB to boot to single user mode fine and can see the configuration db on /data. However, I can't quite piece together the steps to get that file into the fresh install. Would love a suggested set of steps, other ideas on how to recover.

thanks

and yes- I've learned my lesson- mirrored USB boot drives.

danb35

Hall of Famer
One possibility is to boot the new disk, log into the shell, and take a look in /var/db/system. You should see a bunch of database backups (hostname.domain-yyyy-mm-dd-nn.db). Pick one from before your problems, copy it to an accessible location, and upload that through the web GUI.

nick779

Contributor

boota

Cadet
One possibility is to boot the new disk, log into the shell, and take a look in /var/db/system. You should see a bunch of database backups (hostname.domain-yyyy-mm-dd-nn.db). Pick one from before your problems, copy it to an accessible location, and upload that through the web GUI.

Thanks for the response.

I don't see the system dir in /var/db. When you say 'boot the new disk', you're referring to the fresh install on the new USB, right?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't see the system dir in /var/db. When you say 'boot the new disk', you're referring to the fresh install on the new USB, right?
I was, but I'd missed something in my reply. For that to work, you'd need to auto-import your pool and tell your system that the .system dataset is located on your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.