How to move files and directories in shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

danakajoel

Dabbler
Hi, I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find it. Could anyone please let me know what is the best way to move files and folders on Freenas shares between shares on the server. I have FTP set up but the only way I can get this to work is to download the directory first to my PC, then re-upload which doesn't seem right?

danakajoel

Dabbler
is there no other way? I don't have a keyboard attached and am not too familiar with command prompt working? Thanks.

wussy

Explorer
Use WINSCP or Putty, connect per ssh and use the GUI with WinSCP or the mv command on commandline like mentioned in the other thread. Please don´t open too many threads.

danakajoel

Dabbler
Sorry to be opening too many. I have tried using WinSCP. It doesn't let me move folders in the shares. It gives me an error code. I am sure all my permissions are set correctly. It lets me download files and then reupload, just not move them around. Same problem with FTP. I get error message 4 in WinSCP which is described here but I can't find the answer: http://winscp.net/eng/docs/message_error_code_4

wussy

Explorer
Moving remote file to different filesystem (HDD). Will be the the right failure. We know too less about what you have done (what are your settings regarding filesystem, the file transfer is from wich location to wich location ....).
Please return to the other thread. Tell me what you are trying to proof with putting it from one share to another.

peterh

Patron
is there no other way? I don't have a keyboard attached and am not too familiar with command prompt working? Thanks.

you don't need a keyboard, you do have to :
1- enable ssh login on the frennas box
2- get a decent ssh client ( putty will do)
3 - make shure you have a login on the freenas ( admin would do if you are the only user, otherwize you should
create individual user accounts)
4 login with ssh ( putty ) then "mv <old-file-or-directory> < new-file-or-directory>

if the copy is within a single filesystem the move will be instantaneous and independent of size !
( one filesystem is the same as one path in the freenas storage / active volumes menue )

danakajoel

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I think I may need to give up on WinSCP and use Putty. When I try and move folders and files in WinSCP I get:

General failure (server should provide error description).
Error code: 4
Error message from server: Failure
Request code: 18

However, if I look at the rights shown in WinSCP, everything is ticked so that it says rwxrwxrwx.

It makes no sense to me and is very frustrating. If anyone has experience of this error, your help would be much appreciated.

danakajoel

Dabbler
Ahh, finally figured it out. WinSCP was connecting via SFTP. I selected SCP and now it seems to work. Sorry to trouble anyone. I could not find this solution posted anywhere lol

Status
Not open for further replies.