How to move data from Dataset 1 to Dataset 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hi There,

Possibly a dumb question... I have two datasets, each with a separate CIFS share on it. One is for my media. The other is for "temporary" files that I don't care about. Sometimes I'll drop my media on the temp drive before it's encoded properly, etc, and then once it looks good, I'll move it over. What's the best way to do this? I'm coming from a Synology device where I could log into the UI, and there's a file browser that I could use to just move that over. Doesn't seem like there is something similar here. I could mount both CIFS shares on my PC, but then I believe it would actually be transferring from the NAS over the network to my PC and then back onto the NAS, right? Let me know if there's a "captain obvious" way I'm missing. Thanks!

ser_rhaegar

Patron
SSH into the appliance and use the "mv" command to move the file from location A to location B.

Code:
mv /mnt/tank/locationa/myfile.mp4 /mnt/tank/locationb/myfile.mp4

hungarianhc

Patron
I know how to use the command line, but I was wondering if there was a UI for moving folders around that I can connect to from my PC. Some type of Finder / Windows Explorer / File Browser type thing. I'm happy to use something like an FTP client as well, but I don't believe that would work, as I would have to connect to each share separately.

hungarianhc

Patron
Plus... I'm doing regular snapshots in case I make a booboo, but when I'm SSHing, using mv with a misplaced slash here or there could cause some pretty undesirable results. While still possible, it's more difficult to do that when dragging around folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.