Trying to move dataset from one pool to another

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
I'm trying to move a dataset from Pool1 to Pool2. I made a recursive snapshot of the dataset in Pool1. Then I used the following command to send it to Pool2:

zfs send -Rv Pool1/"Calibre Library"@migrate | zfs recv -Fdus Pool2

I get a dataset Calibre Library in Pool2, but whenever I try to access it (such as with the ls command), it is empty. There is no data in it. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am not sure about the options you are using with your send and receive. I use this command to capture a snapshot of a pool:
zfs snapshot -r Emily@manual-8Feb2019
Then to send that snapsot to the destination pool, I use this command:
zfs send -R Emily@manual-8Feb2019 | zfs receive -F Backup
I have done that many times and it works fine. What are all the extra options for?

The other thought that comes to mind, did you wait for the send to complete? Depending on the amount of data, this could take quite a while. I have a system at work that took 28 days to copy everything from one pool to the other, but that was over 300TB. The destination will appear blank until the operation is complete and if you interrupt the operation, you start over from scratch.

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
Thank you for the reply Chris! I used the options I found in another thread on this forum, I believe. So, at work today, I VPN'd into my home network from my phone and ran the command using your options. The -Rv option on send provides a verbose output showing the progress, so I thought when it showed completed in terminal that it was done. Either the extra options on the receive command (and I never could find out what they did) messed things up, or I just didn't wait long enough and it really was not finished. After work, I got home and checked and yes, all the files are there now in the new pool!

Thanks again!
Very Respectfully,
John