Files appearing in all shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokebox

Cadet
Hey guys...new user here. Just got my first FreeNAS build up and running and after a few hiccups, I got my shares visible on the network.

Problem is, files that I'm copying to one share are appearing in all my shares. For instance, I have three shares, TV, MOVIES and MUSIC. I just started copying the TV directory over from my old ReadyNAS to the newly created TV directory on the FreeNAS. I happened to click on the new MOVIES share on the FreeNAS and the same files are there as well. So I've got 3 copies basically.

I'm sure I've screwed something up :tongue:

Thanks guys...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Are kind of share? CIFS/Windows?
Did you choose distinct paths for each?

If you are using ZFS you might want to create Datasets and use them in the paths for every different share...

smokebox

Cadet
Are kind of share? CIFS/Windows?
Did you choose distinct paths for each?

If you are using ZFS you might want to create Datasets and use them in the paths for every different share...

Yes, I'm using raidz1, CIFS sharing for Windows. Each share was created under the main volume, in my case "FreeNAS"

I overlooked the datasets. I think I should have done that and then created the share for each I believe. Will it be possible to move the data I copied to the existing share over to a dataset?

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, I'm using raidz1, CIFS sharing for Windows. Each share was created under the main volume

There you have the answer to your problem, creating a "share" doesn't create a folder automatically. You don't need to use datasets, you could just create 3 folders and then share each of those. The trouble is the only way to do this now is from the command line, FreeNAS doesn't have a filemanager in the GUI. However, you can create datasets from the GUI and then share each of those.

I overlooked the datasets. I think I should have done that and then created the share for each I believe. Will it be possible to move the data I copied to the existing share over to a dataset?

You can still create the datasets and then move your data into them, but again you'll need to use the command line. You'll probably want to delete the 3 shares you've created, create a new share just for your main volume, and then you could use the windows filemanager to copy stuff from the main share to the appropriate dataset share. This way will probably be a ilttle slower than doing it from the command line if you have a lot of files.

smokebox

Cadet
There you have the answer to your problem, creating a "share" doesn't create a folder automatically. You don't need to use datasets, you could just create 3 folders and then share each of those. The trouble is the only way to do this now is from the command line, FreeNAS doesn't have a filemanager in the GUI. However, you can create datasets from the GUI and then share each of those.

You can still create the datasets and then move your data into them, but again you'll need to use the command line. You'll probably want to delete the 3 shares you've created, create a new share just for your main volume, and then you could use the windows filemanager to copy stuff from the main share to the appropriate dataset share. This way will probably be a ilttle slower than doing it from the command line if you have a lot of files.

Thanks man.

I'd rather copy the files from the command line if that'd be faster. I tried using "mv" but couldn't quite get it right. Any ideas? The original share is /mnt/FreeNAS/TV, the dataset I created is /mnt/FreeNAS/TV2. I'm hoping once the copy is complete, I can just rename TV2 to TV once I delete that original share.

Thanks again man!

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks man.

I'd rather copy the files from the command line if that'd be faster. I tried using "mv" but couldn't quite get it right. Any ideas? The original share is /mnt/FreeNAS/TV, the dataset I created is /mnt/FreeNAS/TV2. I'm hoping once the copy is complete, I can just rename TV2 to TV once I delete that original share.

Thanks again man!

You're welcome. You can't mv/rename a regular folder like you want and make it a dataset. Datasets have different properties and use a special command to create them. You could move the TV folder to something like TV-temp, create the dataset TV, and then copy the contents of TV-temp to the TV dataset. You might actually consider using rsync to copy stuff and then delete the original after it finishes. Rsync is nice because you can interrupt it or IF it gets interrupted it can resume where it left off. If you use mv and it bombs, you need to do a little poking first. Hopefully you already know about rsync so I don't need to explain it again ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.