how to move "boot", "system dataset" and "iocage jails" to new SSD mirror

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Hi I've searched the forums but could only find old articles referring to warden jails.

Could someone please help me with a guide on how to move the following to my 2 new 250GB intel SSD's in mirrored mode ;

boot image (currently on usb flash drive )

system dataset (currently on usb flash drive )

plex jail (currently on main pool)

transmission plugin ( currently on main pool)

At the moment the 2 new drives are installed, but i haven't created a new pool or anything.

Here is some screenshots

Thanks

boot.JPG dataset.JPG disks.JPG jails.JPG pools.JPG

danb35

Hall of Famer
You could install FreeNAS on one or both of those SSDs, and keep the .system dataset on the boot pool. Or you could create a new pool on those SSDs, move the jails there (I'm not sure exactly how you'd do that, but I'd expect ZFS replication would do the job), and put the .system dataset there. There isn't going to be any way* to put all three things on those two SSDs if you want them mirrored.

* Well, not any way that would be remotely supported or a good idea, anyway.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply danb35

Yes I see what you mean.

So what I would actually like to do is put the .system dataset and jails onto the SSD.
I will leave the boot on the USB's.

I moved the .system dataset to the USB sticks a while back because the server is in my room and the constant HDD noise was getting on my nerves.

I know this is NOT particularly recommended because USBs are not made for constant read writes.

So i bought 2 SSD's and was planning on moving the .system dataset over to them a while back but haven't got around to it and I'm slightly worried about the health of my USB sticks now that the .system dataset has been on them for a few months.

Should I replace the USB sticks before i attempt to move the .system dataset and jails over to the SSD's ?

How do i do this ?

And as for the "ZFS replication" you mentioned for moving .system dataset and jails, I have no idea what that is ?

When I changed the .system dataset from my normal pool to the USB sticks a while back I literally clicked the drop down menu in the screenshot below and selected freenas-boot.

Would it be as simple as clicking the newly created SSD pool from the dropdown for moving system dataset to SSD's ?

dataset1.JPG

I noticed in the jails menu that there is a similar option and wondered if this would move the jail and plugin to the SSD's also ? here is a screenshot of what i mean.

jails2.jpg

Thank you

JaimieV

Guru
System dataset: As per the manual, it is as simple as changing the pool in the dropdown. Existing data is copied across, job done.

Jails are not so amenable. FreeNAS supports having jails on several pools, and changing the dropdown will create a new one and activate it but won't move your old jails.
I'm not sure if you can activate jails on the new location, shut down the old ones, replicate them across and expect it to work; or you may need to activate the new location, stand up a new PlexPassServer and Transmission, shut them all down, then copy the content across from the old jails to the new ones, and kill off the old ones.

With my Plex I did it the second way, I just tar'ed up the whole Plex /root/ content and unpacked it to overwrite the newly created one, but I was moving it from one server to another and didn't think of replication. Transmission you might as well just stand up a new one really.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
System dataset: As per the manual, it is as simple as changing the pool in the dropdown. Existing data is copied across, job done.

Thanks yes I have now done this.
I am unsure how i go about delteting the old .system dataset though, I can't find anything in the manual or on the forums ?

Jails are not so amenable. FreeNAS supports having jails on several pools, and changing the dropdown will create a new one and activate it but won't move your old jails.
I'm not sure if you can activate jails on the new location, shut down the old ones, replicate them across and expect it to work; or you may need to activate the new location, stand up a new PlexPassServer and Transmission, shut them all down, then copy the content across from the old jails to the new ones, and kill off the old ones.
With my Plex I did it the second way, I just tar'ed up the whole Plex /root/ content and unpacked it to overwrite the newly created one, but I was moving it from one server to another and didn't think of replication. Transmission you might as well just stand up a new one really.

After many hours of searching i eventually found something on moving iocage jails and it seems to have done the trick :)
Here is the link for anyone else who might need it.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ng-the-iocage-dataset-to-an-other-pool.70168/

So now I am left with one last problem, nothing is ever simple on freenas lol.

My plex plexdata-plexpass folder is located outside of the jail and i use a mount point for it.

I tried copying the folder over to my new pool using windows and after hours and hours of windows "discovering files" it popped up and said i need permission from unix user\plex to make changes to this file :rolleyes:

I don't quite get this as I am only copying the files not cutting or deleting, to make sure i had clicked copy i tried just copy 1 file from the plexdata folder to my desktop and it gave me the same message.

So I am now unsure if i just chown the plexdata-plexpass folder or if doing this may cause issues with plex.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Just had a thought that I could chown it as me for now and when its done copying chown it as plex.

Still don't understand why it won't let me copy though, i even made myself part of the group plex, which has done nothing.