Jails on a single SSD - Failure implications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy

Patron
My current configuration is as follows: FreeNAS is on 2 mirrored USB-Sticks, the jails are on mirrored SSDs and Transmission uses the main pool for torrent downloads.
The problem with this setup is fragmentation and consequently reduced performance of the main pool, which i would like to remedy.
I would like to use the following setup: ditch the USB-Sticks, move FreeNAS to mirrored SSDs (currently occupied by the jails) and install a single SSD for the jails and torrents.

Now my question is if FreeNAS as a whole would be affected if the single SSD with the jails on it would fail during operation.
Background to that question is that I once had a single SSD hosting the system dataset and jails.
When that SSD failed FreeNAS basically froze up, which I would like to avoid having to deal with again.
( https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/can-not-shutdown-after-failed-syslog-jail-pool.25161/ )
The loss of the content itself (jails and downloads) would be unimportant.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My guess is in the previous case, the hang was more related to the system dataset disappearing, and not the jails. In your new config, I would suggest leaving the system dataset on the boot pool and also creating a replication task to backup your jails dataset to your main pool.

I like that layout.

indy

Patron
My guess is in the previous case, the hang was more related to the system dataset disappearing, and not the jails.
That is my suspicion as well...
I will check out the backup solution you suggested, thank you for your input!

indy

Patron
I went with a Kingston KC400 512GB with a whooping 800TB TBW.
Should there be any trouble with this configuration I will post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.