How to build password-encrypted iocage jails in TrueNAS 12?

Jahava

Cadet
Hello! I've recently upgraded to TrueNAS 12 and am migrating my GELI-based legacy password encryption over to ZFS-native encryption. My previous pool used password encryption, which is a property that I want to preserve. Specifically, I'd like none of my data (including jail filesystems) to be available until an admin has entered an unlock password.

Since TrueNAS's encryption support prohibits use of password protection on the root dataset of the ZFS pool that hosts the system dataset, and I want to use my main pool for the system dataset, I've enabled key-based encryption for the root dataset in the pool. Then, I created a password-protected dataset underneath of the root dataset called "enc" where I plan to house all of the data that I want to be password-protected.

When I backed up my legacy data in preparation for the transfer, I also recursively backed up my iocage datasets and restored them to my "enc" directory so they become password-protected. However, I am running into a problem: as far as I can tell, iocage will only install to /mnt/pool-name/iocage, and will not acknowledge the /mnt/pool-name/enc/iocage path that I unpacked the jails into. I even tried changing the mountpoint of /mnt/pool-name/enc/iocage to /pool-name/iocage and this doesn't fool the iocage tool, which still tries to initialize datasets at the fixed path and will fail.

So far, a few options come to mind:
  • If there is a way to tell TrueNAS / iocage to use my encrypted path as the iocage dataset instead of the default, that might work.
  • If there is a way to have iocage register/manage jails in a different directory, I can manually import each jail from the encrypted dataset in.
  • I could always move the system volume off my pool and onto my boot dataset and then password-protect my entire pool. I don't really want to do that since my boot dataset isn't too large, but maybe I can if I have to.

Side question: If I do use a password-protected dataset for my jails, will TrueNAS be smart enough like FreeNAS 11 to not try and launch the jails until the dataset has been unlocked, and then launch all autostart jails when it has?

Thanks in advance for any insight/guidance!

Chris Tobey

Contributor
I am wondering the same thing - previously used GELI and it gives you the option when you unlock to restart SMB, Jails, etc.
I want at least one of my two datasets encrypted, and I want my jails encrypted.

DD4711

Contributor
I also do not understand this type of encryption. It was so easy before: boot FreeNAS, unlock Storage, automatic restart of jails, VM's, SMB's.

With TrueNAS encryption I'm really confused. My jails are not encrypted. I restored vie replication a VM as zvol, also not encrypted...

Documentation seems poor (I can't find any better than https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/storage/pools/storageencryption/ )

My system dataset is on boot-pool.

I really do not know what's encrypted and what not. Some of my datasets do have a symbol "locked lock with a forbidden symbol inside", child datasets not...

The zvol under the dataset with same symbol as above is also without this symbol. If I create a new zvol there it shows under "Encryption options": Inherit (non-encrypted).

This situation is really bad. Because of using encryption I should now destroy everything and forensically delete everything before setting it up again. But how? Is it technically somehow possible to use this type of encryption as before with FreeNAS? Encrypt everything and do not think about that something is not encrypted in that pool?

Can someone direct us in the right direction?