[How To] Install Subsonic 4.8 on FreeNAS 9.1.1

Mathewr

Cadet
Hmmm, not sure what the problem could be. Did you change the password-based authentication from the default yes to "no"? Try creating a test jail and choose the defaults for creating a new user instead of the ones you used and see if that makes a difference. I seem to remember reading something about that setting and would recommend the defaults for authentication.

Hi,

Yes, I tried it both ways (with and without password), since I hit a wall on both attempts I decided to go without for ease. But the same error occurred regardless of pure default, or not. I have a "before step one" freenas config saved, and I revert back to that each time I try again.

Thanks,

Lee

Cadet
The same actually happened to me (the permission denied creating the music folder) but it was there when I checked the directory, so I just moved on.

anika200

Contributor
The same actually happened to me (the permission denied creating the music folder) but it was there when I checked the directory, so I just moved on.
I think I know where the problem lies, did Lee or Mathewr create a new user and group before you started the howto?

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Cadet
I think I know where the problem lies, did Lee or Mathewr create a new user and group before you started the howto?

Ah yeah - I guess that's why, for some odd reason I completely missed that part and just went with root/wheel.

Mathewr

Cadet
Ah yeah - I guess that's why, for some odd reason I completely missed that part and just went with root/wheel.

Hi, I'm not sure what You and Lee are alluding to here, can you please help explain?

Thanks again

anika200

Contributor
Hi, I'm not sure what You and Lee are alluding to here, can you please help explain?

Thanks again

While in your jail can you list the files in home and your home directory please and post the code here.
Code:
# ls -la /home/

Code:
# ls -la /home/sonic

Mathewr

Cadet
While in your jail can you list the files in home and your home directory please and post the code here.
Code:
# ls -la /home/

Code:
# ls -la /home/sonic

Sorry for the delay, here are the results:

Code:
root@Subsonic:/ # ls -la /home/                                                                                                   
total 41                                                                                                                           
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Sep 29 11:05 .                                                                                     
drwxr-xr-x  16 1011  1011  16 Sep 29 11:05 ..                                                                                   
drwxr-xr-x  2 sonic  sonic  10 Sep 29 11:05 sonic                                                                                 
root@Subsonic:/ #   

root@Subsonic:/ # ls -la /home/sonic                                                                                               
total 83                                                                                                                           
drwxr-xr-x  2 sonic  sonic    10 Sep 29 11:05 .                                                                                   
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel    3 Sep 29 11:05 ..                                                                                   
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  1016 Sep 29 11:05 .cshrc                                                                               
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  254 Sep 29 11:05 .login                                                                               
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  165 Sep 29 11:05 .login_conf                                                                         
-rw-------  1 sonic  sonic  381 Sep 29 11:05 .mail_aliases                                                                       
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  338 Sep 29 11:05 .mailrc                                                                             
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  750 Sep 29 11:05 .profile                                                                             
-rw-------  1 sonic  sonic  283 Sep 29 11:05 .rhosts                                                                             
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  980 Sep 29 11:05 .shrc  

Thanks again

anika200

Contributor
Sorry for the delay, here are the results:

Code:
root@Subsonic:/ # ls -la /home/                                                                                                 
total 41                                                                                                                         
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Sep 29 11:05 .                                                                                   
drwxr-xr-x  16 1011  1011  16 Sep 29 11:05 ..                                                                                 
drwxr-xr-x  2 sonic  sonic  10 Sep 29 11:05 sonic                                                                               

root@Subsonic:/ # ls -la /home/sonic                                                                                             
total 83                                                                                                                         
drwxr-xr-x  2 sonic  sonic    10 Sep 29 11:05 .                                                                                 
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel    3 Sep 29 11:05 ..                                                                                 
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  1016 Sep 29 11:05 .cshrc                                                                             
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  254 Sep 29 11:05 .login                                                                             
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  165 Sep 29 11:05 .login_conf                                                                       
-rw-------  1 sonic  sonic  381 Sep 29 11:05 .mail_aliases                                                                     
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  338 Sep 29 11:05 .mailrc                                                                           
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  750 Sep 29 11:05 .profile                                                                           
-rw-------  1 sonic  sonic  283 Sep 29 11:05 .rhosts                                                                           
-rw-r--r--  1 sonic  sonic  980 Sep 29 11:05 .shrc  

Thanks again

Looks good, so you should definitely be able to make a directory in /home/sonic as the sonic user.
While in the jail you should issue the command:
Code:
# su sonic

If you have set it up like my example your command prompt will change from root@subsonic to
Code:
# sonic@subsonic

You should then be able to create any folder you want under the /home/sonic directory structure.

Maybe you should try ssh into the host jail and see if that works. I have a feeling that creating a user without password is not going to work without some fiddling around and I am not sure how saving and restoring from the database works so you are on your own there.

Mathewr

Cadet
Looks good, so you should definitely be able to make a directory in /home/sonic as the sonic user.
While in the jail you should issue the command:
Code:
# su sonic

If you have set it up like my example your command prompt will change from root@subsonic to
Code:
# sonic@subsonic

You should then be able to create any folder you want under the /home/sonic directory structure.

Maybe you should try ssh into the host jail and see if that works. I have a feeling that creating a user without password is not going to work without some fiddling around and I am not sure how saving and restoring from the database works so you are on your own there.

That is interesting, when I "su sonic" the next does not go to "sonic@subsonic". I just get the "$" symbol.

Code:
root@Subsonic:/ # su sonic                                                                                                         
$  

I can exit out of that back to root@Subsonic

anika200

Contributor
That seems odd, did you try to ssh into the jail directly?
Also as root@subsonic what does the command "users" show you, here is mine.
Code:
exit                                                                           
[root@freenas ~]# jexec 2 /bin/csh                                             
root@subsonic:/ # users                                                       
sonic                                                                         
root@subsonic:/ #  

Mathewr

Cadet
hmmm, no users.
Code:
[root@Blackbox ~]# jexec 2 /bin/csh                                                                                             
root@Subsonic:/ # users                                                                                                         

I tried to putty in and the connection was refused from the jails IP and Port: 192.168.1.116/24

This is weird.

quick edit: I tried to create the user again, thinking I might be going a little mad and this happened:
Code:
[root@Blackbox ~]# jexec 2 /bin/csh                                                                                               
root@Subsonic:/ # adduser                                                                                                         
Username: sonic                                                                                                                   
adduser: ERROR: User exists!                                                                                                       
Username:    

anika200

Contributor
I have no idea what could be going on with that. Maybe you should start a separate thread or maybe you can remove the jail reboot and start over. I still think it may be the choice of not allowing authentication via password that has things screwy. You can always change that latter by doing authentication via rsa but for the first run you should stick with the defaults.

Jeremy Tart

Cadet
So this process worked perfectly, except for one caveat that I can't figure out. All of my non-DRM Apple Lossless files will not play (.m4a) The transcoding line shows m4a in the "convert from", but they won't play at all...

Any thoughts?

anika200

Contributor
So this process worked perfectly, except for one caveat that I can't figure out. All of my non-DRM Apple Lossless files will not play (.m4a) The transcoding line shows m4a in the "convert from", but they won't play at all...

Any thoughts?

I donno, m4a wiki page says that Apple lossless .m4a is a drm protected file?? At any rate, ffmpeg handles all the decoding so maybe check out the ffmpeg web page and check what our version supports. I think we are using version 1.2 or maybe 1.7, I cant remember at the moment. You may end up converting them to some other format, let us know how you make out please.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
m4a is not drm protected. It is a container file. But, since m4a is a container file, adding drm support would be trivial.

I can't provide any help for m4a though. I'm not an Apple fan, I refuse to buy music from them, and I see more people have problems with Apple's allegedly superior file formats while common formats like flac and mp3 work just fine for everyone else on the planet. Why Apple can't figure out that their proprietary stuff is boning over their own customers regularly is beyond me.

I have used MediaMonkey in the past for tagging and converting audio files. It's relatively cheap so that might be a way to convert your files.

Jeremy Tart

Cadet
I donno, m4a wiki page says that Apple lossless .m4a is a drm protected file?? At any rate, ffmpeg handles all the decoding so maybe check out the ffmpeg web page and check what our version supports. I think we are using version 1.2 or maybe 1.7, I cant remember at the moment. You may end up converting them to some other format, let us know how you make out please.

The plot thickens... so it turns out that it will, in fact, transcode and play back some of my ALAC files, notably the ones encoded with iTunes itself. I have other ALAC files that I encoded using XLD (X Lossless Decoder) that it seems to hang on. This is not an issue with the installation of Subsonic nor the transcoding support files, so outside the scope of this how-to.

I appreciate the write-up. I had the Subsonic PBI for FreeNAS 8.3.1 installed, then updated to FreeNAS 9.1.1, not realizing that I had zapped Subsonic until I went back to work and couldn't get to my music!

underpickled

Contributor
Wow... this looks amazing... I've been fighting trying to get Madsonic working all night...
Have you had any problems with video transcoding on this?

underpickled

Contributor
That is interesting, when I "su sonic" the next does not go to "sonic@subsonic". I just get the "$" symbol.

Code:
root@Subsonic:/ # su sonic                                                                                                       
$  

I can exit out of that back to root@Subsonic

I'm having the same problem... tried deleting and recreating the jail with reboots in between. I only added "sonic" to "wheel", and DID give a pw. However, after the "su sonic" command, I don't get a password prompt... just the $ sign.

I have all the other symptoms you described also (nothing when entering "users", but a "user already exists" error when trying to recreate "sonic").
Tried rebooting... no go.

There must be an explanation for this.... but I'm at a loss. Is it totally necessary to create this special user? Is it so terrible if everything is installed by "root"?

TheSmoker

Patron
Su from root is implicit.

So it will not prompt you for password.

Try to log on with a non privileged accout and do su - sonic . It will ask you for a password.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

underpickled

Contributor
Weird... so I deleted sonic... re-added sonic... same problem.

However, then I created another user "test" with mostly the same settings (maybe different shell?). Now, the "users" command still returns nothing, but if I "su sonic" it actually shows the "sonic@subsonic" prompt. Weird, right?