[How To] Install plexconnect for aTV

lonewolf

Dabbler
Try adding the profile like this:

trailers.apple.com/trailers.cer

If that does not work, reboot the apple tv. Also make sure you are use either lan or WiFi not both.
I've tried both methods of the profile being added now and have done a reset on the apple tv to no avail. I'm really stumped as to what to try next

lonewolf

Dabbler
i'm unsure if this is whats supposed to happen but when i change my ip in the dns to match the plexconnect i can then no longer connect to the iTunes store, should this happen ?

traxinv

Dabbler
i'm unsure if this is whats supposed to happen but when i change my ip in the dns to match the plexconnect i can then no longer connect to the iTunes store, should this happen ?

Nope. Make sure plexconnect is running:

Service plexconnect status

Also. Make sure you use the jails ip address and NOT freenas box, go to jails and there should be an ip address for the plexconnect jail.

lonewolf

Dabbler
Nope. Make sure plexconnect is running:

Service plexconnect status

Also. Make sure you use the jails ip address and NOT freenas box, go to jails and there should be an ip address for the plexconnect jail.
its not running,

root@PlexConnect:/ # service plexconnect status
PlexConnect is not running
root@PlexConnect:/ # service plexconnect start
Starting PlexConnect...
root@PlexConnect:/ # service plexconnect status
PlexConnect is not running
root@PlexConnect:/

So it seems I've made an error somewhere, the only thing i wasn't to sure about and guessed was this part

1. /PlexConnect/PlexConnect_daemon.bash: line 29: python: command not found

i followed the guide and wasn't 100% sure where to put this

PYTHON="/usr/local/bin/python2.7"

What i did was found line 29 and replaced it with PYTHON="/usr/local/bin/python2.7"

Was this my error ? if so what do i do with this ?

lonewolf

Dabbler
i redone the jail and found my error, I've successfully got plea on my aTV but when i go to sign in or search for a server nothing happens, just another loading wheel

traxinv

Dabbler
i redone the jail and found my error, I've successfully got plea on my aTV but when i go to sign in or search for a server nothing happens, just another loading wheel

Try specifying the plex media server manually in the settings file. Pms_ip i think. The plex signin does not always work

adrianwi

Guru
I'd have a look at the PlexConnect.log (in your PlexConnect folder in the jail) and check if it's getting requests from your aTV. Might need to set the loglevel to high in the Settings.cfg file.

adrianwi

Guru
No, if you can see your library on the aTV I'd say plexconnect is working. Changing the log level isn't going to fix anything!

Where do you have Plex Media Server installed? In a FreeNAS jail?

Can you connect and play things through plex.tv or on other devices?

lonewolf

Dabbler
It's in a freenas jail, it's working perfectly on other devices and I can connect and play media via plex.tv flawlessly whilst having other devices running it from the i.p directly. This tell me that the server is operating well, however when trying to play via atv it will come up with server not responding or an error

adrianwi

Guru
That would be my assumption too :D Not sure I can offer much more advice. I can't confess to understand how most of this works, but managed to install PMS and PlexConnect jails using the excellent guides on here. Both work with little involvement from me, other than adding new media into the appropriate folder, the odd restart and an update from time to time.

traxinv

Dabbler

lonewolf

Dabbler
am i correct in saying i shouldn't actually have to sign in as my plex media server should be discovered, it seems the only way i can have it discovered is by logging into my account, which tells me its not on a local connection, am i right ?

mbaltaks

Cadet
Thanks so much for this easy to follow guide!

A very simple way to avoid having to edit `PlexConnect_daemon.bash` is to add the following line to `/etc/rc.d/plexconnect`:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:${PATH}

(just after extra_commands="status" is fine)

I also used `pkg install py27-pillow` instead of downloading PIL source and installing by hand.

And don't forget the `run_rc_command "$1"` line - in my browser that line was hidden so the copy and paste resulted in a script that didn't work until I went back and checked again.

One other note, `ip_pms` should be the IP of the jail with Plex running, not this new jail for PlexConnect.

I've just been able to quickly add a PlexConnect jail to FreeNAS using this guide, and it works great!

traxinv

Dabbler
Thanks for the headsup. Will test it today and alter the post. Like I said I am pretty much new to this stuff :P so always nice when people find this post useful and contribute.

Thanks so much for this easy to follow guide!

A very simple way to avoid having to edit `PlexConnect_daemon.bash` is to add the following line to `/etc/rc.d/plexconnect`:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:${PATH}

(just after extra_commands="status" is fine)

I also used `pkg install py27-pillow` instead of downloading PIL source and installing by hand.

And don't forget the `run_rc_command "$1"` line - in my browser that line was hidden so the copy and paste resulted in a script that didn't work until I went back and checked again.

One other note, `ip_pms` should be the IP of the jail with Plex running, not this new jail for PlexConnect.

I've just been able to quickly add a PlexConnect jail to FreeNAS using this guide, and it works great!

adrianwi

Guru
Is anyone running PlexConnect in a jail experiencing a similar barrage of messages in the console window?

Code:
May  5 01:19:02 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 90:72:40:03:5d:5b to 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b on epair4b
May  5 01:19:25 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b to 90:72:40:03:5d:5b on epair4b
May  5 01:20:16 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 90:72:40:03:5d:5b to 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b on epair4b

epair4b is the network adapter created in my PlexConnect jail and 192.168.168.80 is the fixed IP address assigned to my ethernet connected aTV3. The 2 mac addresses appear to be for the ethernet and wireless adapter in the aTV, although once you've plugged in the ethernet cable the wi-fi settings appear to be disabled.

Everything is working, but would be nice to stop the flood of messages every 60 seconds or so :D

traxinv

Dabbler
Actually noticed it a while back now.

I found this thread over here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/recurring-security-message.17970/#post-97655

and here is the link to how to disable it:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/arp-moved-from-to-howto-stop-them.31240/

Apparently it is an apple thing. Hope it helps :)

Is anyone running PlexConnect in a jail experiencing a similar barrage of messages in the console window?

Code:
May  5 01:19:02 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 90:72:40:03:5d:5b to 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b on epair4b
May  5 01:19:25 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b to 90:72:40:03:5d:5b on epair4b
May  5 01:20:16 freenas1 kernel: arp: 192.168.168.80 moved from 90:72:40:03:5d:5b to 1c:1a:c0:b5:ba:2b on epair4b

epair4b is the network adapter created in my PlexConnect jail and 192.168.168.80 is the fixed IP address assigned to my ethernet connected aTV3. The 2 mac addresses appear to be for the ethernet and wireless adapter in the aTV, although once you've plugged in the ethernet cable the wi-fi settings appear to be disabled.

Everything is working, but would be nice to stop the flood of messages every 60 seconds or so :D

JC_Remover

Cadet
I'm having a strange issue. (FreeNas 9.3 Stable)

I ran this guide from start to finish earlier with no problems but then could not find the plugin listed in my GUI or services.

I thought that was strange so I rebooted my FreeNas box and then when I ssh'd back in and ran service PlexConnect status i discovered that it wasn't running or even installed.

So I've wiped that jail and started from scratch and now when I attempt to change directories to the PlexConnect/assets/certificates directory i get the following error/
/PlexConnect/assets/certificates: No such file or directory.

Yet I succesfully installed it in the prior step from git.

Any clues?

adrianwi

Guru
How have you copied plexconnect across to your jail?