How to increase the size of vol within existing mirrored disks (no additional disk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubX

Explorer
I am new to FreeNAS. Need some helps on the followings,
Background: 2 x 4T drives as mirror, create one vol size=2T, there is a dataset under this 2T vol and shared as iSCSI. It works fine.
Want to Achieve: would like to expand the 2T vol to full capacity of 4T
Question: Please show me the step by step how to.

danb35

Hall of Famer
would like to expand the 2T vol to full capacity of 4T
You probably don't, really--you should keep quite a bit of space free when you're using zvols (which is probably what you're using, not a dataset). And your client machine probably won't know what to do when its "disk" suddenly increases in size. But to change the size of a zvol, simply click on it in the Storage screen, then use the little wrench button at the bottom to make changes. FreeNAS won't let you set it to more than 80% of your pool size; see the manual.

SubX

Explorer
Thanks.
The vol I create is just regular vol, there is no zvol created underneath It is for CIFS share purpose, so no dataset no zvol created.
In that regard, what should I do, just leave it as it is and once the space used is over 2T, the system will auto expand and use the free space out of the 4T total capacity?

Thanks,

danb35

Hall of Famer
Start over, using complete sentences, and some detail. Refer to the forum rules that you said you read and agreed to when you joined the forum earlier today. Because what you're saying so far makes no sense at all. You did not create a pool of 2 x 4 TB disks mirrored, create a 2 TB "vol" in that pool, create a dataset in that "vol", share that dataset using iSCSI, and then use that for a CIFS share. So, what exactly did you do? What hardware are you using, what version of FreeNAS are you running, and how is your storage actually configured (a screen shot of the Storage screen would help here)?

SubX

Explorer
Sorry I made a mistake here as I have 3 different FreeNAS environment . Let me rephrase.
Background: 2 x 4T drives as mirror, create one vol size=2T, shared as CIFS. It works fine.
Want to Achieve: would like to expand the 2T vol to full capacity of 4T

And thanks for such a quick response.

Attachments

• Vol4T.JPG
    Vol4T.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

garm

Wizard
Just a friendly suggestion.

No one will be able to help you unless we get a screenshot of your storage tab. We don't understand what you mean by "vol"

SubX

Explorer
Here is the screenshot of the storage tab. Let me know if any screenshots needed here.

Attachments

• StorageTab-1.JPG
    StorageTab-1.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 270

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can you post another screenshot with CIFS_01 highlighted? When you click on it, some buttons should become visible at the bottom.

Edit: Whatever CIFS_01 is, it isn't a "vol". There's no such thing as a "vol" in FreeNAS. There's a zvol, which you'd share using iSCSI (or use with a VM), and there's a dataset, which you could use for any number of things.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
Here is the screenshot of the storage tab. Let me know if any screenshots needed here.
What's your problem? According to your screenshot you have created something, most likely a dataset, named CIFS_01 under the Volume Vol4T. Again according to your screenshot your "thingy" called CIFS_01 has used 47% of the avavilable storage (1.7 TiB) leaving 1.8 TiB available for "thingy". As 2 x 4 TiB in mirror leaves you with less then 4 TiB usable storage I would say that you are good.

By the way: Let's assume that CIFS_01 is a dataset. Then it is possible you have set a value for quota for that dataset. If that is the case you can set the value of quota to 0. That way your dataset can use all the available space. Read the Freenas manual to find out more.

Last edited:

SubX

Explorer
What's your problem? According to your screenshot you have created something, most likely a dataset, named CIFS_01 under the Volume Vol4T. Again according to your screenshot your "thingy" called CIFS_01 has used 47% of the avavilable storage (1.7 TiB) leaving 1.8 TiB available for "thingy". As 2 x 4 TiB in mirror leaves you with less then 4 TiB usable storage I would say that you are good.

By the way: Let's assume that CIFS_01 is a dataset. Then it is possible you have set a value for quota for that dataset. If that is the case you can set the value of quota to 0. That way your dataset can use all the available space. Read the Freenas manual to find out more.

For now, I am good. Thanks for everyone's input here.

Evertb1

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.