How to import jails to new install

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansmuff

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.3 install ran fine, then boot media got corrupted and I had to reinstall from scratch.
The ZFS pool was left untouched and intact. It holds about 10 jails that ran various plugins, they took a long time to configure properly.

How do I get plugins re-installed on the new FreeNAS instance such that I can run them from the old jails again? I can actually point the jail root to the old jails, and they're all there with their old IP setup (which is what I want), but I have no plugins registered to them.

Thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS 9.3 install ran fine, then boot media got corrupted and I had to reinstall from scratch.
The ZFS pool was left untouched and intact. It holds about 10 jails that ran various plugins, they took a long time to configure properly.

How do I get plugins re-installed on the new FreeNAS instance such that I can run them from the old jails again? I can actually point the jail root to the old jails, and they're all there with their old IP setup (which is what I want), but I have no plugins registered to them.

Thanks!
if you have a backup of your config you could restore that. otherwise, I don't know.

hansmuff

Dabbler
I'll ask a better question:
After pointing my new install at the old jails, the jail list populates with them, with the correct names and IP addresses (I managed them manually, I do not let the jail manager use DHCP.)
And of course, the plugins themselves keep their configurations in various files in their jails.
So -- all I seem to have lost is the list of installed plugins, as well as their "tie" to the correct jail.

Is there a known good way to restore the plugins and have them tied back to their old jails?
I do not have a config backup.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
not that I know of, but SQL wizards might know what to do.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have to do SQL hacking. Sorry, no guide exists for it. You will have to delete and recreate the plugins if you want them to function as plugins. :/

hansmuff

Dabbler
My own fault, anyway. So maybe the best course is to just change the jail root, re-install plugins one by one and if there are config issues look at the old jails' files. Then when I'm all done, delete old jails.
I'm not complaining, a backup config would probably fix this to some degree, but I can also see how it might not in some cases.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.