How to hide CIFS user folders from other users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiknNutz

Patron
I am still trying to figure out the best way to do this, but here is what I have done so far and open to recommendations. Under my main volume I have created a dataset called "CIFS" and under that, another folder called "userset". Both are using Windows permissions. I then created user-specific folders directly on the Windows client for each user.

CIFS (owner: root, group: wheel)
userset (owner: "me", group: wheel)
userA
userB
etc
The issue is that when I go into the Security tab in Windows, there is an "Everyone" group or user (not sure which) that has Read & Execute, List Contents and Read permissions that are grayed out and unchangeable. What is the protocol to hide folders from users that don't have permission? I thought this was be really straightforward, but so far it doesn't seem to be.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am still trying to figure out the best way to do this, but here is what I have done so far and open to recommendations. Under my main volume I have created a dataset called "CIFS" and under that, another folder called "userset". Both are using Windows permissions. I then created user-specific folders directly on the Windows client for each user.

CIFS (owner: root, group: wheel)
userset (owner: "me", group: wheel)
userA
userB
etc
The issue is that when I go into the Security tab in Windows, there is an "Everyone" group or user (not sure which) that has Read & Execute, List Contents and Read permissions that are grayed out and unchangeable. What is the protocol to hide folders from users that don't have permission? I thought this was be really straightforward, but so far it doesn't seem to be.

I'm a bit confused about what you're doing, but it sounds like you need to set permissions correctly rather than hide folders. Post the following enclosed in [ code ] tags:
  • /etc/local/smb4.conf
  • output of "zfs list"
  • output of "getfacl /mnt/<your pool>/CIFS", "getfacl /mnt/<your pool>/CIFS/userset", "getfacl /mnt/<your pool/CIFS/userA", etc
  • output of "zfs get aclmode <your pool>/CIFS"

ChiknNutz

Patron
You are correct in that it is ultimately correct permissions that I am after. The "hidden" element will come as a result of that.

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# /etc/local/smb4.conf
/etc/local/smb4.conf: Permission denied.
[root@AdcNAS] ~# zfs list
NAME                                                         USED  AVAIL  REFER                    MOUNTPOINT
Rivendell                                                   75.8G  10.4T   192K                    /mnt/Rivendell
Rivendell/.system                                           31.2M  10.4T   208K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/configs-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5   735K  10.4T   607K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/cores                                     1.23M  10.4T  1.23M                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/rrd-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5       192K  10.4T   192K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/samba4                                    14.9M  10.4T  1023K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/syslog-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5   13.9M  10.4T  1.03M                    legacy
Rivendell/CIFS                                              12.1M  10.4T   192K                    /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
Rivendell/CIFS/userset                                      11.9M  10.4T  10.4M                    /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset
Rivendell/jails                                             2.68G  10.4T   256K                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails
Rivendell/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail                  576M  10.4T   576M                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail
Rivendell/jails/htpc-manager_1                               274M  10.4T   803M                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/htpc-manager_1
Rivendell/jails/plexmediaserver_1                           1.85G  10.4T  2.25G                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/plexmediaserver_1
Rivendell/mediaset                                          73.0G  10.4T  72.9G                    /mnt/Rivendell/mediaset
freenas-boot                                                1.20G  12.8G    31K                    none
freenas-boot/ROOT                                           1.18G  12.8G    25K                    none
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813           3.62M  12.8G   514M                    /
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511280648           1.17G  12.8G   517M                    /
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install                              1K  12.8G   510M                    legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/Wizard-2015-11-23_22:13:13                   1K  12.8G   511M                    legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default                                   1.98M  12.8G   513M                    legacy
freenas-boot/grub                                           20.3M  12.8G  6.74M                    legacy

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
# owner: root
# group: wheel
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd----:allow

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset
# owner: cadcock

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Chris
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Chris

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Dalton
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Dalton
      user:dadcock:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# zfs get aclmode /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
NAME            PROPERTY  VALUE        SOURCE
Rivendell/CIFS  aclmode   restricted   local

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You are correct in that it is ultimately correct permissions that I am after. The "hidden" element will come as a result of that.

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# /etc/local/smb4.conf
/etc/local/smb4.conf: Permission denied.
[root@AdcNAS] ~# zfs list
NAME                                                         USED  AVAIL  REFER                    MOUNTPOINT
Rivendell                                                   75.8G  10.4T   192K                    /mnt/Rivendell
Rivendell/.system                                           31.2M  10.4T   208K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/configs-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5   735K  10.4T   607K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/cores                                     1.23M  10.4T  1.23M                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/rrd-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5       192K  10.4T   192K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/samba4                                    14.9M  10.4T  1023K                    legacy
Rivendell/.system/syslog-5ece5c906a8f4df8••••••••86779fae5cade8a5   13.9M  10.4T  1.03M                    legacy
Rivendell/CIFS                                              12.1M  10.4T   192K                    /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
Rivendell/CIFS/userset                                      11.9M  10.4T  10.4M                    /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset
Rivendell/jails                                             2.68G  10.4T   256K                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails
Rivendell/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail                  576M  10.4T   576M                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail
Rivendell/jails/htpc-manager_1                               274M  10.4T   803M                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/htpc-manager_1
Rivendell/jails/plexmediaserver_1                           1.85G  10.4T  2.25G                    /mnt/Rivendell/jails/plexmediaserver_1
Rivendell/mediaset                                          73.0G  10.4T  72.9G                    /mnt/Rivendell/mediaset
freenas-boot                                                1.20G  12.8G    31K                    none
freenas-boot/ROOT                                           1.18G  12.8G    25K                    none
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813           3.62M  12.8G   514M                    /
freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511280648           1.17G  12.8G   517M                    /
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install                              1K  12.8G   510M                    legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/Wizard-2015-11-23_22:13:13                   1K  12.8G   511M                    legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default                                   1.98M  12.8G   513M                    legacy
freenas-boot/grub                                           20.3M  12.8G  6.74M                    legacy

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
# owner: root

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CI
3a) modify "everyone" ACE so that it applies "to this folder only".

3b) add "cadcock" with "full control"
FS/userset/Chris
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Chris

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# getfacl /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Dalton
# file: /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Dalton
      user:dadcock:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# zfs get aclmode /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS
NAME            PROPERTY  VALUE        SOURCE
Rivendell/CIFS  aclmode   restricted   local
To capture the contents of /etc/local/smb4.conf, type "cat /etc/local/smb4.conf". Once you do that, post contents here.

Without seeing the contents of your smb4.conf file, I would probably start by using the freenas webgui to recursively set permissions for CIFS/userset to root:wheel. Then I would do the following:
1) unmap network drives and clear cached credentials (using credentials manager) in windows
2) authenticate to samba server \\rivendell with root credentials
3) using the security tab in File Explorer, modify the ACLS for \\rivendell\userset as follows:
3a) modify "everyone" ACE so that it applies "to this folder only".
3b) add "cadcock" with "full control"​
4) in the CLI use the "chown" command to change the owner of the user folders. ie "chown dadcock /mnt/Rivendell/CIFS/userset/Dalton"

What this accomplishes:
a) all users can access CIFS share (using the special everyone@ ACE)
b) every user can see and access their own user share, but no others. (using the special owner@ ACE)
c) user cadcock can see and access all user shares.

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Patron
What you mentioned sounds precisely what I am hoping to acheive.

Here is the SMB4.conf info:

Code:
[root@AdcNAS] ~# cat /etc/local/smb4.conf
[global]
    username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusers
    server max protocol = SMB2
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    strict locking = no
    oplocks = yes
    deadtime = 15
    max log size = 51200