How to format a dataset that already exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP2005

Dabbler
I need to delete all the files and folders I have on some of my datasets. I think that the fastes way to do it is to format the dataset - but how do I do it?

When looking in the manual at 8.1.1 - http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html I can see this line "If you have unformatted disk(s) or wish to overwrite the current filesystem and data on your disk(s), use “Volume Manager” to format the disk(s) into a ZFS pool"

When I look at the Volume Manager, I can't see how to format a dataset the already exists?

Anyone who can help?

HPE Proliant Microserver Gen8 Entry - 12GB ram - CPU 2.3Ghz Dual core - Harddisk 1TB + 2TB - FreeNAS 9.10

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
So all you "folders" are inside one dataset and they are the only data inside that dataset? If so you can destroy the dataset. Be aware that everything inside that dataset will be erased.

Please be 100% sure of what you are doing before proceed.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-27_14-18-4.png
    upload_2016-10-27_14-18-4.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 455

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is no such thing as formatting a dataset. You can create and destroy datasets, and you can do whatever you want to their contents, but the concept of formatting one simply doesn't exist.

SP2005

Dabbler
Thanks both of you :)

When the manual use the word "format", I just thought that I could do a "format C:" like on Windows.

But I'll destroy the dataset and create a new one.

- Kim -

melloa

Wizard
Thanks both of you :)

When the manual use the word "format", I just thought that I could do a "format C:" like on Windows.

But I'll destroy the dataset and create a new one.

- Kim -

Also not sure it you will have snapshots leftover from that dataset, so check that also if you need that space back.

SP2005

Dabbler
I'll have to read about snapshots, because I don't no much about how they works.

Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also not sure it you will have snapshots leftover from that dataset, so check that also if you need that space back.
If you destroy a dataset, all its snapshots go away with it.

melloa

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.