How to force replication over a specific interface?

mikeintexas

Dabbler
New TrueNAS user here and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I have a TrueNAS Scale server that's running great and will soon have a separate TrueNAS Core server (drives are burning in as we speak) that I wish to replicate to.

My setup is very basic, as depicted in the attached diagram.

TrueNAS network.jpeg

My core network switch is only a 1GB unit with only SFP ports, no SFP+ available. Both servers are/will be plugged into the switch. However, the motherboards for both systems have SFP+ ports. I'd like to run a DAC between the two systems and replicate over the 10GB connection. Both for speed and to keep that traffic off the core switch.

I haven't actually setup a replication task yet b/c the second system isn't online yet (will be tomorrow) but sifting through the replication wizard I don't see an option to pick a network interface to use. I'm not good with the CLI, but I sure can follow directions if need be. Thanks for any info you can provide.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can't select which interface to use, at least not directly--the way to handle this is via addressing. If you set up the 10G interfaces on their own subnet (which you'll have to do anyway; TrueNAS won't let you set up two interfaces on the same subnet), and then specify the address of the remote 10G interface as the destination for the replication task, the traffic will go over that interface.