How-to: Flashing a Dell H200 with a Dell R610.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sactobob

Dabbler
There's really nothing new here that can't be found elsewhere. But thought I'd post a bit about my experience flashing an H200 to P16 IT mode and what specifically worked for me. There are several threads in various forums, some really bad that'll nerf your controller if you don't follow directions or catch a typo, which originally had me thinking I'd 'bricked' my H200'. Thankfully I took another look at this thread that jgreco reminded me about and this one contained enough helpful information to get my H200 all flashed and good to Firmware version 16 which is what Freenas wants or it'll complain with an alert.

The process is not too difficult, but does require multiple stages, and in my case (and probably yours if you have an R610) another motherboard to complete the initial steps. If your H200 is not an integrated raid card, there is no choice but to put the card in the back PCI-E slot, if you are lucky to have the IR card, then it'll work in the front slot, if not Dell boot-up will tell you there is a foreign card in the system and force you to remove it.
20150526_140548.jpg

The first thing before starting this process is you'll need to first create a FreeDos USB drive and also put the necessary tools on it to clear the card and reflash it. Use this link to create your bootable thumb drive. Once you have a thumb drive ready, grab all the files from here and put them all in the root directory of the thumb drive. This gives you direct access to all the commands and avoids some CDing blind into short name directories finding stuff. One additional step that will help you when you are ready for the final flash. When you've copied all the contents from the above link navigate to the "\Firmware\9211-8i_P16" folder. Copy the file "2118it.bin" to the top level of the thumb drive and give it the name of "P16IT.bin", you'll thank me later.

Note: The above "grab all" link used to have every Firmware folder/file available, but it appears to have been removed. Here's the link to get the P16 firmaware from LSI's Archives:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Host Bus Adapters/Host Bus Adapters Common Files/SAS_SATA_6G_P16/9211_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

UPDATE: New Freenas 9.3.1 requires P20 firmware. Here's the new location for that one:

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i#downloads

Click on Firmware tab and download the .zip archive titled :​
9211_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

Once you are done with that we're ready to start! The first problem you'll find however is megarec just doesn't want to work with a Dell R610. It just hangs and hangs. I tried various commands of sas2flsh (which does work) to replace megarec, but in the end the only way around this issue was to pull out a spare desktop in my garage that had an Intel MB in it and put the H200 in there to begin the flash sequence. BEFORE you remove the card, issue the following command (still on the Dell R610):

Per a poster below.. You may have to reboot between some of the steps, I did not have to as I was basically doing a "force reboot" by having to swap between 2 systems to complete my flashing. I'd guess for sure rebooting is needed between steps 3/4 after wiping the card and on the same system.

Note: Just to be clear, whenever you see a -option, IE -c, followed by an 0, that 0 is a ZERO). :)
1. sas2flsh -c 0 -list

s2f1.PNG
Make a note of the "SAS Address" line you'll need it later. If you don't get this or have already wiped your card, feel free to use the one above. I doubt your card or my card will ever meet up in real life. Also, note the Vender/Product ID at this point calls the card a Dell/H200A. When we're done this will be changed.

Now pop the H200 out and put it in your spare MB. Hopefully megarec works in that system and sees your card. If not, then you'll probably have to fall back on some other instructions.

Here we'll issue 2 more commands.

2. megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec1.jpg

3. megarec -cleanflash 0
megarec2.jpg

Now at this point the card is wiped and ready to accept new firmware. However, for me sas2flsh on this system did not work, returning an error about initializing PAL.
s2ferror.jpg

But, sas2flsh works in the R610, so I swapped the card back over to that system for the next set of commands. At this point I also tried to flash straight to P16, but sure enough as other tutorials mention, you must first flash the card to Dell's HBA firmware before you can then flash to an IT card. Try anything else and go back to step 2 and start over as the card will be in a funky state, failing to flash with various errors.. So next we flash to Dell's firmware: (Also on FS12-TY C2100 I had 2 reboot at this point before going on to step 4, probably good to do anyways to come up with a "clean" controller")

4. sas2flsh -o -f 6GBPSAS.FW
You should see the following:

s2f7.PNG

5. reboot.
Once you've rebooted, you'll see the drive is now reporting as a "6GbsSAS"
6. sas2flsh -c 0 -list
s2f8_6GB.PNG

Almost there! You'll notice now that the SAS Address is all 0s. We'll need to fix this before continuing. Using the information you saved above, issue the following command:

7. sas2flsh -o -sasadd xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (replace this with the 16 digit address, no "-", from above).
s2f8_sasadd.PNG

At this point I rebooted, it probably isn't necessary, but anytime something changes with the controller I found it best to reboot so the new data is seen by the system. So now another "sas2flsh -list" will show the controller now has a SAS address.
s2f9.PNG

At this point we are ready for the final flash.

Continued in next post. (Hit limit of file attachments).

Last edited:

sactobob

Dabbler
8. sas2flsh -o -f p16it.bin (the renamed file I had you copy earlier. You're welcome!)
If all goes well you will get a warning about Product ID and Vendor IDs not matching (duh) and a prompt that will say "Would you like to flash anyway [y/n/]". I recommend answering "y" here, since that is the whole point of these directions.

s2f10.PNG

s2f12.PNG

Once this process completes reboot again. And finally...

9. sas2flsh -list
done.PNG

Success! The H200 now reports itself as an LSI, SAS9211-8I with Firmware version 16. Freenas will now see drives attached to this controller as JBODs along with full SMART ability.
smarty.PNG

And no alerts complaining about mismatched firmware.

noalerts.PNG

You should be good to go. Please let me know if there are any typos here or if I've missed anything. Feel free to add your experience and work-arounds if this method didn't work for you.

Jay629

Dabbler
Thanks for the great tutorial;
successfully flashed my two H200 too IT mode :)
(after some stumbling)

side notes:
my motherboard is a supermicro X8DAH-F,
no need to swap machine, all tools in the tutorial just worked,

I found it necessary to perform a reboot after #3,
or it returns "firmware image validation failed"
after a reboot, the step #4 went through without error.

you guessed it right, a reboot is not necessary after adding the SAS address,
I didn't reboot, and just continued, it worked fine
I also tried "sas2flsh -c 0 -list" right after adding the address, and it could report the new address already.

There is a major issue with the firmware package provided in the mega link,
at first, I could not find the folder "\Firmware\9211-8i_P16"
there are only 3 folders inside that archive, "efi", "LOCAL", and "LSImpt_SAS2_P16",
I guessed you meat the "LSImpt_SAS2_P16" but I searched inside, couldn't find any .bin file.
However, there IS one 2118it.bin just inside the root directory of the archive,
so I guessed this was what you referred to..
so I renamed it as recommended (I later found out that there are only two .bin files anyway..DOS can display the full name for the 2118p7.bin so...Anyway, changing it to p16 doesn't hurt anything)
After flashing, I got this (with SAS address masked):
Card #1 original.jpg

it turned out to be a P17 firmware, not a P16 firmware..
ooops..

So I needed to downgrade to the P16 as FreeNAS wants P16..
google time again..found this post:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-driver-mismatch.23650/
downloaded the P16 from that post, and then repeated the steps in this tutorial from step #2..
After all,
here is what I have now:

card #1
Card #1.jpg

card #2
Card #2.jpg

Also note that mine have B2 after the controller name instead of "??"
not quite sure what the deal is here, probably an indication of controller version?

Anyway, thank you sactobob again for the tutorial :)

sactobob

Dabbler
Thanks for the info/feedback.. My steps 2, 3 and 4 required going back and forth between 2 systems, so I did not know about the reboot requirement. I'll update my instructions with that side note if you are doing this all on one system (lucky you!).

There is a major issue with the firmware package provided in the mega link,
at first, I could not find the folder "\Firmware\9211-8i_P16"
Darn, the problem referring to a link like that is you have no control what the original author does with it. It does appear the Firmware directory has been removed from the download. Not sure why..

I found the firmware archived on LSIs site also with some searches.. Came up with the same location in the thread you referred too (Didn't read that first).. I'll link it here also so it's easier to find.

Thanks again.

Jay629

Dabbler
You're welcome,
and just some extra info,
the hash values for the LSI P16 firmware are:
md5 845CA1C82D1DE901F297813082B5BF59
sha1 CE9BBAF35FEA99495FEC23D0763A864537686148
(for the firmware for ms-dos..not sure if the firmwares for flashing under other systems are the same, probably different)
The firmware itself doesn't include the version# in its name, which was what caused the confusion...

Perhaps you can just grab all the files and make an archive and upload it in this post so others looking into this path could get them more convenient :)
Luckily the official lsi link is still alive though lol~
I just tried to use the search tool at the LSI site:
http://www.lsi.com/support/pages/do...ssettype=Firmware&productname=LSI+SAS+9211-8i
It can pull up all the old versions including the P16 ;)

Jay629

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.3.1 stable is out, so I upgraded...and guest what, it's now giving an alert like this:

1.jpg

LOL, time to upgrade again..
not quite sure what was changed between the 16 to 20 though.
Hopefully the 10 stable would come out soon ~

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

sactobob

Dabbler
Just updated 3 controllers using p20.bin. Oddly, one controller (a spare just purchased), complained at step 2 that chip was in "Fusion Mode". Still the steps work (rebooting in-between writes/changes) and all 3 are on 20 and latest Freenas is Happy Happy. I'm using the "Fusion" chip and no issues so far bench-marking system.

Attachments

• P20.zip
    340.5 KB · Views: 319

Jay629

Dabbler
So I upgraded to the latest FreeNAS yesterday..
now getting a yellow alert stating the driver version 21 doesn't match the firmware 20...
So I go to lsi's website for the 9211-8i,
the latest firmware there is still the P20

Driver version 21.JPG

Any idea?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sactobob

Dabbler
No need to worry, according to cyberjock, this was an oversite and will be fixed.

cyberjock said:
Gents,

I just had a discussing with Josh Paetzel on this. The basic gist is that the person who is the official driver maintainer commited a p21 driver for the LSI controllers. This made its way into FreeNAS. Of course, if you look there is no P21 firmware (I just looked). The driver writer for Broadcom/Avago/LSI (Yes, Broadcom now owns Avago) has said that the P21 driver *is* compatible with P20 firmware (especially since P20 is the latest firmware out). FreeNAS is going to be changed to allow this one exception (p21 firmware with p20 driver).

I don't know how this wasn't noticed before now, just go with me on this for now. I'll provide more details if/when I have them and can share.

From this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/firmware-version-p21.45130/

Status
Not open for further replies.