How to find out if volume is encrypted or not

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
Hi ,
I using Freenas version (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314) . I set up my Freenas server 7 years back and so far no major issues .

My Server Config
Motherboard = INTEL DG43RK
Processor = Intel Celeron CPU E3300 2 2.50 GHz
RAM =8 GB DDR3 1333 Corsair xms
PCIE HBA = 4 SATA PORTS (Some generic card )
L2ARC = Kingston 60 GB SSD
HHD = 7 (2TB Seagate ironwolf drives) in raid z1
SMPS = 650 W CORSAIR
Boot drive = 4 GB Kingston

It has 2 volumes ( 4 drives + 3 drives ) = 7 drives total

I am planning to upgrade my hardware and add few more volumes
My Question:

1)HOW TO FIND OUT IF MY VOLUMES ARE ENCRYPTED .
2) IS ENCRYPTED IS IT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT THE ENCRYPTION KEY / PHRASES
3) IF ENCRYPTED AND I DON'T HAVE THE ENCRYPTION KEY / PHRASES HOW TO PROCEED IN UPGRADING MY HARDWARE AND UPGRADING MY VERSION OF FREENAS .

Thankyou .

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
HOW TO FIND OUT IF MY VOLUMES ARE ENCRYPTED .
If you do zpool status do you se the disks in the pool ending with .eli ? if yes, it's GELI encrypted (the only type possible in older versions).

IS ENCRYPTED IS IT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT THE ENCRYPTION KEY / PHRASES
If the pool is mounted already... download the keys:

IF ENCRYPTED AND I DON'T HAVE THE ENCRYPTION KEY / PHRASES HOW TO PROCEED IN UPGRADING MY HARDWARE AND UPGRADING MY VERSION OF FREENAS
Your pool contents are gone, so wipe the disks and install the version you want and start from scratch.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
While we're at it, remove the L2ARC. With 8GB of RAM, that will only be slowing you down.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also... if you are able to upgrade, you have quite a lot of work in front of you... the jails system must be changed and each jail upgraded (I guess no problem if you have no jails). The VM system also changes, but I guess with 8GB of RAM, you have no VMs.

You will need to upgrade to 9.10, then to 11.0, then to 11.3 then to 12 to get to current.

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
If you do zpool status do you se the disks in the pool ending with .eli ? if yes, it's GELI encrypted (the only type possible in older versions).

If the pool is mounted already... download the keys:

Your pool contents are gone, so wipe the disks and install the version you want and start from scratch.
Thankyou

The following are screen shots of gui and shell . looks like my volumes are not encrypted .

volume status media.jpg

volume status zfs_2.jpg

volume status jails.jpg

volume status media shell.jpg
volume status zfs_2 shell.jpg

WHERE CAN I FIND THE ISO FILES OF VERSION 9.10 ISO WITH SHA-256 HASH KEY.

THANKYOU.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Yes, hosting arrangements have changed over the years, creating different URL's for downloads, and at a certain point I imagine it isn't worthwhile for iXsystems to maintain archives of seriously outdated versions.

Some of us maintain our own archives, because it is prudent to have locally hosted copies of anything you're dependent on. My recollection says I offered you a download link for a FreeNAS 9.3 version some days ago. Didn't that work out for you?

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
I am scared to try it out , what if something goes wrong .
I not well versed with Freenas .
Right now my version (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314) of Freenas is running properly . Can I upgrade to 9.10 form this version.

I have purchased two 32 gb Kingston exodia flash drives to upgrade my Freenas OS .

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Samuel Tai

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
Also see the official announcement of 9.10 from 2016: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/freenas-9-10-release-now-available.42223/ and https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/freenas-910-released/.

IIRC, many members had problems with jails, as warden deprecation began in 9.10.
Thankyou for the heads up ?

i dont know if my terminology or description is correct . please bear with me.

i currently have two plugins running
1. Plexmedia server
2.Subsonic ( music server , i guess)

Frankly speaking i dont user these services at all , just tried it out initially . I dont mind if i lose my plugins and jails when i upgrade to 9.10 version of freenas.
I use my freenas as a file server and as a backup for my photography.
I use vlc player on my windows and android devices to watch movies n stuff.

QUESTIONS:
1. CAN I DELETE or REMOVE THE PLUGINS AND JAILS BEFORE I UPGRADE TO 9.10. ( IF I CAN ,HOW SHOULD I DO IT )
2. SHOULD I DELETE or REMOVE THE PLUGINS AND JAILS AFTER MY UPGRADE.

REGARDING MY UPGRADE:

I am planning to upgrade to 9.10. . Planing to use the ISO file for install and two 32gb Kingston exodia flash drives for simultaneous install .
Once the installation is done , is it possible to remove on of the boot drives containing the OS and keep it as a cold spare or does it have to stay pluged in all the time.

Thankyou.

Samuel Tai

If you don't use any jails or plugins, then you can delete them before the upgrade using the blue Delete button next to each jail.

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
Tried to install Freenas 9.10 .

My BIOS get stuck at the BIOS flash screen
Here is what I did
Create a bootable disk with Freenas 9.10 iso. On a 64gb Kingston 3.2 gen 1 usb flash drive .
Plugged in two 32gb Kingston 3.0 usb flash drives .

When restarted my system BIOS got stuck.

Only when I removed all 3 flash driver the BIOS would continue to boot.

Kindly help.

karthikeyan d

Dabbler
Tried to install Freenas 9.10 .

My BIOS get stuck at the BIOS flash screen
Here is what I did
Create a bootable disk with Freenas 9.10 iso. On a 64gb Kingston 3.2 gen 1 usb flash drive .
Plugged in two 32gb Kingston 3.0 usb flash drives .

When restarted my system BIOS got stuck.

Only when I removed all 3 flash driver the BIOS would continue to boot.

Kindly help.
I have now plugged in my old usb boot drive with Freenas version 9.3 and my server booted up works fine .