How to expose containers / apps to a vlan !!???

Louis2

Contributor
I am new to apps and containers and struck-ling with them.

One of the issues is that apps / containers should communicate to the outside world via a couple of vlans. For that, I think that I, depending on the situation, need ingress functionallity or a reverse proxy like nginx or traefik (probably nginx).

There is a small video about treaefik setup (https://truecharts.org/charts/enterprise/traefik/how-to), but that one is far to simple. I assumes that:
- you use the truenas ip as revers proxyip and
- are going to replace the truenas gui port numbers
Both not ok, imho

My requirements are different:
- the revers proxy should use its own IP
- that ip is on another vlan than the the truenas gui
- I will probably use multiple proxys, in order to send data to different vlans (but lets start with one)
- ipv6 should be supported

Big question is how to do this?

I played around a bit with settings in the app setup like 'loadballancer ip' (in two ways a.b.c.d and a.b.c.d/24 no idea what is correct), but that does not seems to work.

So the big question is "what does work !!??" to expose the apps/containers to the outside world, given the requirements as described above.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Kubernetes networking is hard and even if you can work out what you want to do, SCALE/TrueCharts will likely not have provided the controls for the bits you need to touch.

There are some hacks that generate the impression that a container is on a different IP than the host, but routing can then be probelmatic, so forget that.

I suggest what you will need to do to get what you're asking for and avoid insanity is:

Create a Bridge and attach to that VLAN.

Create a small VM and connect it to that bridge.

Run your reverse proxy of choice in that VM, pointing it at your Traefik instance.

Louis2

Contributor
In the past I put a lot of effort trying to turn TrueNas / FreeNas in a generic NAS & VM-system supporting VLAN's and IPV6. That was never successful. My actual feeling is that it will work now, if I use VM's (NOT App's / docker).

However before I definitively decide which way to take, I have to understand better what is possible with apps / docker since they also have (maintenance) advantages. For example I am considering to implement local used functionality (e.g. a media server) via containers and global functionality e.g. web or sftp server via VM's.

However the more time I spend in digging into apps / containers, the more I think I am going to use VM's for nearly every thing. For a private environment like mine, important Kubernetes functionality like cluster management and automatic pod reallocation etc. is ... not relevant.

PackElend

Explorer
I don't know if my use case is the same but it goes in the same direction.
I have two Hardware interface, one for System, one for home use.

I want that my personal apps such file sharing are connected to ether1 only, system apps such as syslog via ether2.

By they have way this talks about the same https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-use-different-vlans-for-different-apps.107777

This could be helpful too https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/question-about-using-vlans-with-containers.93457/

Louis2

Contributor
Small update.

To start, my goal is to build one machine to be used as NAS and a couple of other purposes running in vm's and maybe containers / Kubernetes. Since those apps have different purposes and need different security I have them in different vlans. To give a few examples: My NAS should be highly secure separated, so the NAS is in the GreenZone. I do not trust IoT equipment at all, so I have a separate IoT vlan. The Webserver is exposed to the internet and is in the RedZone.

Since the very latest scale releases, this setup seems to be possible. At this moment I manage to come close to that goal using scale itself as NAS and using its VM's for the applications. Where I do logically connect the NAS-functionallity and the VM's all to the different / intendend vlan's. It is not 100% yet, but better than ever.

Related to containers / apps / Kubernetes, it is complicated. I am not yet convinced. I start playing a bit with it for home internal apps like a media player or a graylog server, but at this moment .... I prefer VM's

Trevor68

Contributor
I run a Windows 11 VM, I have just moved ALL my services onto it, so maybe that's what you want?
It runs Caddy as a service for Reverse Proxy, and Docker Desktop for most of the apps.

So far it's running Media Centre master, utorrent, Calibre, Caddy and Xteve directly, and Calibre-Web, Photoprism, Syncthing, Bitwarden, Ofelia, MariDB, Watchtower and Jellyseer all in Docker.
The whole thing accesses the host via a Bridge and SMB shares, works like a charm.

PackElend

Explorer
Related to containers / apps / Kubernetes, it is complicated. I am not yet convinced. I start playing a bit with it for home internal apps like a media player or a graylog server, but at this moment
have you made any progress here?
What about using "Apps"->"Launch Docker Image" as you can select VLAN interfaces?