How To Duplicate A FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
We're using FreeNAS primarily for backup storage. We would like to create additional FreeNAS servers that mirror the original FreeNAS server. If we setup one FreeNAS server could we save the config and then Upload Config to one or more additional FreeNAS servers? I presume that we would need to change the following on the "duplicate" FreeNAS servers to avoid conflicts on the network:
- IP address if not assigned via DHCP
- Host Name so that each FreeNAS server is unique

If the storage disks on the additional FreeNAS servers have no configured volumes will the config Upload Config create the volume as was created in the original FreeNAS server or would the Upload of the config not modify/create a volume on the attached drives?

Is this plan feasible? Is there an easier way shy of manually configuring each new server? Am I missing any important points.

adrianwi

Guru
I’d just setup the 2nd FreeNAS machine manually and then use ZFS replication to transfer the data at whatever times is appropriate. Mine replicates overnight but it can be setup to run more frequently. It’s all pretty well covered in the manual.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thanks. It's not the data replication that I'm thinking about but rather the server setup. The FreeNAS servers will have different data storage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Much of the configuration will naturally be different for different servers, to the point that I doubt your idea's usefulness.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Understand, thanks.

Stux

MVP
You can, but are you trying to have a live replicated server, serving or a backup?

The important part is to replicate the datasets you are interested from the primary to the secondary

danb35

Hall of Famer
will the config Upload Config create the volume as was created in the original FreeNAS server
No, uploading the config file won't create a pool.

HateTheDrake

Dabbler
I'd upload the config, change the ip then go from there with the pools. It doesn't take that long, but if you really want automation just create a script that uses the zpool commands. Then export the pool and import it back in the GUI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a better idea to use the FreeNAS API.

Status
Not open for further replies.