How To Create an Exact Duplicate of existing FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello All,

I am running FreeNAS 9.10.2 with 8 4TB HD's in a RaidZ2 and would like to know what I need to do to have an EXACT working backup of my main FreeNAS server. Ideally if my main FreeNAS box called (fs1) were to fail I could fire up up the back up server called (fs2) and have all files, permissions, jails, etc. that were working on fs1 working the same on fs2. The reason I want this is it took me so long to get my main server fs1 working properly I would hate to have to try and redo all of it again if I had some major failure.

I have put together an exact copy of my main FreeNAS server fs1 and would like to know if it is possible to have FreeNAS make some kind of system backup, both Boot Drive and Data Sets automatically to the backup server fs2. I know about SnaphShots in FreeNAS but I dont fully understand well enough to know if this would work for me. Hoping someone could recommend a step by step approach to creating an EXACT copy of one FreeNAS box to another.

storage-junkie

Dabbler
Snapshots and replication will handle the data portion of things, but I think you'd also want a backup of your primary machine's config, and you'd restore that to your backup machine in the event of a failover. That would take care of all the 'other' stuff to make your backup machine work exactly like your primary.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think that with the concept of replication above and backing up the config of fs1 into a dataset that is replicated to fs2 to be restored in the case of your emergency need.

Here's a link to a very helpful way to do that:

Link to Cyberjock's post and the ensuing thread

sretalla