[How-To] CrashPlan in FreeNAS 9.1 Jail (tested on 32bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prashant

Cadet
I created jail using webgui (jails-->add jail) with all of the parameters specified from this post.

Let me try out your sugggestions. Could you please give me couple of pointer on how to build JTUX?

Thanks

aaron.oneal

Dabbler
As far as I'm aware, if you're running with the LCE on a 64bit machine you need to create your jail in 32bit (so check that box). You may also want to uncheck vanilla so you have access to the pkg manager by default.

Now using the technique of building JTUX (instead of using the LCE), that might work in a 64bit jail, but mine is 32bit at the moment.

To build JTUX:
$ pkg install openjdk6
$ pkg install git
$ git clone https://github.com/bionoren/jtux
$ cd jtux
$ vi Makefile (and then edit to point to your Java include path)
$ make

Then replace the .so that CrashPlan came with.

Prashant

Cadet
Hi aaron.oneal

Based you your suggestion, i was able to proceed much further. I ran into another problem. Since my root mount is readonly (Running from USB), mount command failed

root@CrashPlan:/etc # mount -uw /
mount: vol_1/jails/CrashPlan: Operation not permitted
Here is info on / mount
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a on / (ufs, local, read-only)

Is there any way to remount / with write permission?
When I upgrade will it wipe out my changes??
Thanks
Prashant

aaron.oneal

Dabbler
I'm glad that helped a bit. Now, for what reason do you need to remount the root filesystem inside the jail?

If you're referring to the instructions from the original poster, that was outside the jail and that was to load the linprocfs mount. With the approach you're now taking, you don't need that because you're not using the LCE. And if anyone does need it, I think the fstab technique I mentioned works better because you don't have to modify the system (and lose changes on upgrade) and it doesn't have a timing issue when loading and unloading the jail.

aaron.oneal

Dabbler
Also, regarding the fstab, that's also where I put my nullfs mounts because when I used the FreeNAS GUI to do it they never got remounted on reboot or jail restart. A nullfs mount is how you make storage from your main pool accessible to the jail, and you have to define one per dataset you want to backup like so:
Code:
/mnt/pool1/Documents  /mnt/pool1/jails/crashplan/mnt/Documents    nullfs      ro 0 0

Arhoover

Cadet
I followed the steps all the way up to the reboot without issue.
After attempting to boot with the new rc.conf file modifications (the following step)

enable the variable so the script runs at boot:
nano /conf/base/etc/rc.conf
add:
mountproc_enable=”YES”

edit rc.conf to load linux module at boot (in FreeNAS)

mount -uw /
nano /conf/base/etc/rc.conf
add:
linux_enable=”YES”

reboot FreeNAS
So now I am stuck with a
Code:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault code      = supervisor read, page not present
Stopped at range_tree_vacate+0x24: calll
db>

the "db>" allows for some command line access, but I'm unclear how to undo the previous rc.conf file additions.

Help?

J

jkh

Wow, nasty. Your kernel has panic'd - there's definitely nothing more to do there! You're done - reboot the box!

This is, in a nutshell, why jails are essentially a stop-gap until we manage to get something like bhyve to replace them for plugins. It's all very very fragile and subject to some pretty strong limitations in both the jails and linux emulation code, which is definitely showing its age (and obsolescence) in FreeBSD.

Arhoover

Cadet
Looks that way!
So my question is this: What's the next step?
Two things I can do:
1) Re-install Freenas, and load my configuration. Maybe this is the easiest and best path.
2) Edit the rc.conf file. Any advice on how to do this without getting into the system? Is there a rescue mode I can get into in order to do this?

Thank you for the help!

Arhoover

Cadet
For reference, here is a picture of what the Fatal trap looks like on the console:
IMAG0187[1].jpg

J

jkh

I would start with FreeNAS 9.2 (if you're willing to go to 9.2.1, the current nightly is very close to Release Candidate status) and then try the Crashplan plugin there. It's not easy to set up, but many folks in the forum have managed to do so, so we know it's at least *possible*. :)

Arhoover

Cadet
I am currently on 9.2, but did not see the plugin when I refreshed. In fact I only saw 4 or so plugins.
At some point I need to start over with my server and just move to a 64 bit system.
I was hoping to limp along with x86 for a bit longer until I get a few more pieces for the 64.

Anyway, any idea why I wouldn't be seeing the crashplan plugin on x86? (Is it not supported?)

J

jkh

Correct - very few plugins are actually supported on 32 bit. The 32 bit platform has very little life left. We almost killed it in 9.2.1 but gave it a last-minute reprieve. Pretty sure the 32 bit platform builds will finally die in 9.2.2!

Arhoover

Cadet
Ahhhhhhh. Ok. I give up then. Next weekend's project: Prep for 64!
Thank you for your help, and quick responses!

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

thewiep

Dabbler
This method continued to work great after the update to 9.1.1.
When I updated to 9.2 I got several issues with importing my pool etc..
The box started rebooting.
This was probably due to low RAM (only had 1,5GB).
I'm surprised it worked up to here :)
I reverted to 9.1.1 and everything worked again.

I now updated my hardware on that box and will try the plugin.
At first try I'm not having much luck though :)

I also wrote some documentation for myself to use the method I described in OP with encryption.
So everything can be unlocked/loaded by external scripts.
If anyone should be interested, give a shout here and I'll try to clean it up and post it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Considering that linux jails are removed in 9.3, your guide is basically broken on step one with the latest version of FreeNAS. Sorry.

Linux jails may come back someday, but it's probably years away and not something you should bank on. If you want to do Crashplan I think the best way is to run it in a virtualbox VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.