How to Convert System Pool to a Mirrored Configuration? (Post-install)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob p

Dabbler
I've got a 9.10-STABLE freenas system that's deployed using a single USB stick for the system drive. In the hopes of adding some fault tolerance in the event that the USB stick should fail, I'd like to convert the installation to utilize a mirrored root filesystem by adding a second usb stick and converting the system pool to a mirrored pool. What's the easiest way to do this?

I've found this example from Oracle, but I'd like to know if there are any differences in implementing this on freenas. thanks.

link:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gkdep/index.html

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

bob p

Dabbler
overthinking? I prefer to understand this at the command line level rather than at the GUI level, but thanks anyway.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
overthinking? I prefer to understand this at the command line level rather than at the GUI level, but thanks anyway.
I understand what you're saying, however, we do not recommend in general for anything to be done at the command line when it can be done in the GUI, because of synchronicity issues with the database, and so on.

If you are trying to avoid using the GUI for this type of thing, you might be better served going with a straight FreeBSD install.

m0nkey_

MVP
The documentation provided is the correct way of setting up a boot mirror. If you don't like the answer, that's your problem. Good day sir.

bob p

Dabbler
The documentation provided is the correct way of setting up a boot mirror. If you don't like the answer, that's your problem. Good day sir.
/snip/

Mod note: Removed nastiness

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All FreeNAS 9.x interactions must be done via the GUI. If you don't want the GUI, why are you looking at FreeNAS?

FreeNAS 10 introduces a new CLI option, which is basically equivalent to what the GUI used to be (the new GUI tends to lag behind the CLI), but they're equivalent - you're typing something like boot attach drive instead of clicking boot > attach drive > drive, not something like zpool attach freenas-boot drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@bob p, I encourage you to take a step back and digest what you have been told. Your attitude is uncalled for.

You were provided with the answer in a straightforward manner. Do not expect the correct answer to be altered because it doesn't please you. Do not expect people to recommend procedures that will interfere with FreeNAS' proper operation.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@bob p, I encourage you to take a step back and digest what you have been told. Your attitude is uncalled for.

You were provided with the answer in a straightforward manner. Do not expect the correct answer to be altered because it doesn't please you. Do not expect people to recommend procedures that will interfere with FreeNAS' proper operation.
Yes, as I said Bob, the reason for using the GUI is quite practical. With FreeNAS, when these decisions are made at the command-line, the GUI often gets confused, occasionally irredeemably so. Our recommendation to you is based upon the reality of how the appliance works. If you want to set up your own FreeBSD installation without FreeNAS, and do things at the command line, we will be able to help you with that as well, though probably that would have to be off-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.