How to Configure Granularity of Email Notices

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob p

Dabbler
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've done all of the requisite searching and I still haven't found the definitive answer to my question:

I've been using FreeNAS since version 8.2 or so. One of the things that's always bothered me is the inability to set the granularity of email notifications to weed out all of the "normal status" advisories, so that I'd only receive "problem notification" emails. Optimally, I'd like to configure the two different types of emails to be sent to two different email accounts.

I seem to remember hearing that this type of implementation would become available in version 9.2.x. I've recently upgraded from 8.2 to 8.3 to 9.2.1.6 and it doesn't seem as if the email notifications are any more configurable than they used to be in version 8.x. The email configuration interface at System > Settings > Email in 9.2.1.6 doesn't seem to have any more options than it had before.

I've reviewed the forum posts and these resources, but I still can't seem to find the definitive answer:

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/2070

http://web.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas9.2.1/freenas9.2.1_guide.pdf

Is the problem that email notifications aren't any more configurable than they've always been, or that I'm just looking in the wrong place?

TIA.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think you are missing a very simply idea.

FreeNAS can't (and in my opinion shouldn't) differentiate between "normal feedback" and "sh*t be is broken yo!"

The OSes job is not to interpret information and feed that back to you but to simply report what it knows. It's your job as the administrator to decide *if* its important or not and *if* you should even take any actions.

9.2.1.x doesn't send out as many emails as it used to (no more nightly emails), but even the email you get the night after a boot, which includes a log of everything from the bootup sequence, is still important because you *should* be looking through that. If there are any errors that require action on your part that is how you are going to know. We all know you didn't watch the bootup as it scrolled text off the screen faster than you could see it. ;)

I don't know that email notifications have ever been "more configurable" than they currently are. It's very basic and there's really not much more to add to it unless you plan to write us code that is a heuristic system for identifying what should be high priority and what is just informational.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are correct, the emails are not really any more configurable however as Cyberjock points out you definitely get less of them. Under the 9.2.1.6 version, if you get an email you should read it as there could be critical information in it. If you do not reboot your machine and just let it run, you will rarely get an email if your system is running fine.

bob p

Dabbler

FreeNAS can't (and in my opinion shouldn't) differentiate between "normal feedback" and "sh*t be is broken yo!"

The OSes job is not to interpret information and feed that back to you but to simply report what it knows. It's your job as the administrator to decide *if* its important or not and *if* you should even take any actions.

I don't think I'm missing anything. I agree that it's an administrator's responsibility to know what's going on. Based upon your "Feature #2070" comments, it's clear that you didn't agree with the idea of limiting the type of outgoing emails sent by the system, in spite of the overwhelming end user demand. But you did offer the very good idea of offering checkboxes for enabling/disabling emails.

It looks like the developers decided to change the way system emails work, but didn't give the user any choice about configuring the system in this regard. The user never got the option of choosing the old way or the new way, the system just does what the developer wants, which may or may not be what an administrator wants.

No offense intended, but I think that the implemented changes and some of the comments made in this thread could be interpreted as being a bit patronizing and perhaps a bit contradictory. FreeNAS is already interpreting information and making decisions in the administrator's absence -- the OS is already reviewing the information and interpreting it, and filtering the information that is going out to the admin, and the admin isn't given any options regarding the level of email traffic that goes out.

As an example, the OS already:

1) interprets the status messages and assigns color-coded warning/threat levels on the system -- ie: it's already making threat-level interpretations and makes decisions based upon those interpretations;

2) interprets that the nightly status emails should not be sent, regardless of whether the admin wants to see them or not. This effectively forces the administrator into hoping that no news is good news. Clearly, that's not a good solution -- with the current implementation the administrator has no way of knowing that the email system is still functioning properly in the absence of email delivery. With the current implementation the admin now has to jump through hoops to confirm that the system functionality has not been interrupted.

... you *should* be looking through that. If there are any errors that require action on your part that is how you are going to know. We all know you didn't watch the bootup as it scrolled text off the screen faster than you could see it. ;)

It's probably not a good idea to make assumptions that nobody looks at their logs, or to make assumptions about whether or not a user tracks the boot-up sequence. In my neck of the woods, most computers are headless. It's hard to watch headless servers boot in real-time, as not all machines have fold-out displays in the rack and IPKVM connections. Sometimes it's necessary to grep the dmesg output to monitor boot status. I probably do that more than most people.

I don't know that email notifications have ever been "more configurable" than they currently are. It's very basic and there's really not much more to add to it unless you plan to write us code that is a heuristic system for identifying what should be high priority and what is just informational.

Maybe I am missing something simple, but I don't see how email configuration is any more configurable now than it was before. The only thing that I've noticed is that the system has stopped sending nightly emails after the upgrade, which I'm not sure is such a great idea, for reasons stated previously -- I have no way of knowing that failure to receive an email is not a false negative result.

Granted, not everyone wants to deal with the low signal to noise ratio that came with the previous email configuration, so many people have asked for fewer emails, and the developers responded by making a change, while not offering the user any choices in this regard. At least if there are choices that can be made, I haven't been able to find them.

If the user is able to configure the choice of old-style email vs. new-style email, I'd like to know how to make that selection. Insofar as the system currently allows the administrator to send email output to multiple email addresses, and the system already makes decisions about threat levels, it would make sense to direct emails to selected locations based upon their content. It certainly would be worth putting a text through to my phone if the server went offline, though it wouldn't be worth interrupting a meeting to tell me that a scrub was started on-schedule. To me, it would make sense to direct most of the emails to my desktop, and to direct critical level emails to my phone. The system already assesses some events as "critical" by putting that text string in message headers.

I guess that the answer is that the functionality that I'm looking for doesn't exist in the web GUI, and that any solution to my "problem" is going to have to be performed under the hood.

By now it might seem obvious that "yo shit is broken" and "Unless you plan to write us code" were not the types of responses that I was expecting to hear. I merely asked if I was looking in the right place or the wrong place for the information. I guess the answer is that I am looking in the wrong place.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The reason I disagree with that email is that if you get nightly emails and then suddenly don't, you KNOW *something* is wrong. Might be the box is down, might be your email account that FreeNAS directs to is down, might be because you changes the password, etc. I can't tell you how many people I've run into that changed their email password, move to a new account, etc. and had zero clue that the FreeNAS box wouldn't email them anymore. It's just not something you think about. I've already been involved with more than a dozen people that *had* working email that later stopped working because of some of the reasons I mentioned above and didn't know because after they upgraded they stopped getting emails and forgot about it.

A good engineer designs a system to warn in the event something is wrong. A great engineer designs a system to warn when something is wrong as well as validate to the user when things are still okay. There is currently NO validation that your email setting in FreeNAS work on a daily basis because those daily emails don't work. So despite the conservative answer of doing nightly emails I've created my own nightly email. And guess what, when I stopped getting my nightly emails a few weeks ago because I changed my Google password I knew within 3 days and fixed it. You might never know until you've lost your data.

So tell me kind sir, who is the sucker that is gonna be really pissed when they lose their data and who is jumping for joy that they were informed that their emailing had stopped?

Those nightly emails that say 'here's your log" and then has nothing below it validates that your emailing still works. If you can't be inconvenienced to see those emails daily you shouldn't be working in IT. This is plain and simple common sense for proper server operation.

JimV

Cadet
Rather than telling bob p he shouldn't configure FreeNAS notifications how he wants,
why don't you tell him where the code or scripts are so he can change it?
If you don't know the answer, just say so.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Rather than telling bob p he shouldn't configure FreeNAS notifications how he wants,

@JimV and @bob p
The code is where it has always been and is available to anyone to make a customized version of FreeNAS. I use to compile the code almost every day when we first started this venture. Here is the link: https://github.com/freenas

I hope this helps fulfill the request as this is about all I can offer to answer your questions.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Part of it is because FreeNAS is an appliance. Hacking FreeNAS, which is what you'd be doing, is not something we condone. Not to mention the fact that tons of people already hack the heck out of their boxes, enable features they shouldn't, and then put tickets in because *they* broke their system with the changes.

The drawing board has some ideas for locking out the OS from being edited in future versions of FreeNAS. This means you'll put in a ticket and include a key descriptor. That descriptor will tell us if you've modified your OS. If you have, don't expect support.

The developers have spent so many hours tracing issues back to "user error" that it's actually better to spend time and resources on this than continue to chase user-created problems.

It's easy to see when the developers figure out it's user error. They'll usually say something like "there's more to this story than you are telling us.. I'm gonna leave this ticket" and stuff like that.

bob p

Dabbler

I guess that everyone missed the fact that my FreeNAS installation is malfunctioning -- they're all insisting that the default configuration is to not send thenightly emails, though after my upgrade I'm still receiving them. I'm just trying to find the bug, and in response I get a response from someone who knows more about what's good for me than I do, telling me that I shouldn't try to fix a malfunctioning "appliance."

I find it somewhat odd that people who should know the answer aren't talking. That gives me reason to think that they just don't know, and that they're trying to hide their ignorance behind the bombastic delivery of paternalistic advice.

I've never cared too much for the Statist mindset, where the user is told how things are going to be and that he will like it. That's more like Windows than an open source platform.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Bob p,

The reason why we don't do that is because FreeNAS is designed as an Appliance. It should NOT be edited by you. In fact, that's *exactly* the kind of thing that screws over this project. Read my last paragraph again. People go editing stuff they shouldn't be, end up with some bug because they have no clue what they are doing, then put in a ticket expecting the developers to fix THEIR screwup.

Sorry, you will NEVER see us recommending you edit the OS files. Either you are intelligent enough to find, write, debug, etc yourself or you aren't. If you aren't you shouldn't expect to be provided this information.

bob p

Dabbler
"It should NOT be edited by you"

That says it all, now doesn't it?

Based upon your response, I now know that I have indeed been looking in the wrong place to get technical answers to questions, because you do not approve of anyone changing the configuration of your "appliance." Thanks for clarifying that the kind of support that we need will not be provided here, by design. It is now clear that this isn't the solution we've been looking for.

Prior to your answer I wasn't sure if the reason that I wasn't getting a helpful response is because: A) you didn't know the answer, B) you were fishing for a consulting job, so that you could provide the answer for money, or C) a dictatorial mindset was not willing to help anyone who wanted to reconfigure your "appliance" to suit their needs.

The problem with an "appliance" that doesn't work the way a user wants it to work is that it ends up not ever being purchased, or if it does get purchased it ends up getting thrown into the garbage when it fails to provide satisfaction.

To others reading this thread, here is an interesting link:

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-manage-automatic-daily-email-reports.11908/

At one time, cyber-jock thought this information was helpful and should be made available to users.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, I *never* said that granularity was a good idea. That link is for a totally different FreeNAS. In 2013 you got nightly emails that you either had to read every day or ignore (or be really dumb and disable emailing). Those nightly emails no longer exist. So that thread means *nothing* for the current FreeNAS version. NOTHING at all.

Hey, if this is averse to your own decisions with OSes, feel free to fork FreeNAS as you see fit. FreeNAS is an appliance. If that is not palatable there are *plenty* of alternatives. Appliance based OSes survive because people add features to make it do what they want. The link to Github is there for the taking. Go have a ball and add the feature if it's that important. But, expecting others to tell you how to bend their OS to serve your functions (especially one that is *free*) is just rude and distasteful. You aren't forced to use FreeNAS and if any drawback is unpalatable you can grab our code and provide the changes yourself or go elsewhere.

1. No, I do not have the answer.
2. No I was not fishing for consultation. Consultation is for the work that would take several hours for me to explain (and I feel its fair to be paid if I'm going to spend that kind of my personal time helping someone).
3. And lastly, no, I was still willing to help, but see my first answer.

And for your record, if I can't give you a pointer in a forum setting I'm certainly not going to do it for consultation. And when people contact me to modify the OS do you know what I tell them? "No thanks, FreeNAS is an appliance and if it can't do what you want out of the box you should use FreeBSD".

You clearly have expectations that are unrealistic for something that you paid nothing for. In fact, I don't remember you paying me to even answer your questions, yet you somehow are convinced that I should spend my afternoon finding the file for you to edit, right? Wrong. I don't have the answer, it's a bad idea, and I'm not going to spend *my* personal time looking for an answer that I really don't want to throw out there so that people like yourself can screw up the code and put in a nonsensical ticket for a developer to fix what isn't even broken.

Good day to you sir.

ss4johnny

Explorer
9.2.1.x doesn't send out as many emails as it used to (no more nightly emails), but even the email you get the night after a boot, which includes a log of everything from the bootup sequence, is still important because you *should* be looking through that. If there are any errors that require action on your part that is how you are going to know. We all know you didn't watch the bootup as it scrolled text off the screen faster than you could see it. ;)

I had updated FreeNas and was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my machine wasn't sending me as many emails as it used to. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.