How to clear "Permanent Errors" in .system/rrd-###### file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
I have received the following error when I run: zpool status -v

Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
dotsystem/.system/rrd-76c11d7f8a944b3d8e42fe35420dbaa3:<0x97>

Months ago I moves .system to a separate volume named "dotsystem" so that I can spin down the drives. I have had no problems until now.

My main volume, Volume001, consists of three 250GB hard drives in a Z1 array. The main volume is healthy. The dotsystem volume is also listed as healthy. Volume 001 is only used to back up vital work data and files so this volume is not accessed frequently; hence the desire to move .system to the dotsystem volume on a USB and spin down the drives when not being accessed.

Questions:
Is this problem the result of putting .system on a USB drive?
Is the rrd file a log file or folder?
What does the <0x97> at the end of the file mean?
How can I clear this error?
Any recommendations to prevent this error in the future?
Should I have or is it possible to create a Z1 volume of USB drives to hold the .system files?

System Information:
CPU - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3110 @ 3.00GHz (3000.03-MHz K8-class CPU)
Motherboard - Jetway TI41M
Memory - 8GB system memory
OS - FreeNAS 11 Stable
Boot drive - King Dian SSD 16GB
dotsystem - 32GB USB Drive
Volume001 - 3 250GB Drives in Z1

m0nkey_

MVP
It seems the USB drive may be on it's way out. You may want to move your .system dataset to another pool.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Boot drive - King Dian SSD 16GB
Those drives are not quality SSDs and with your boot pool on it, you should not have your system dataset in the the boot pool. You would need something with a lot more wear endurance. A drive like this would work much better because it was a much better drive from the beginning:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-SSD-...a-solid-state-drive-w-30DAYSWRTY/162099175292
The King Dian drive was really only about as good as a USB memory stick, just using a SATA interface.

Edit:
dotsystem - 32GB USB Drive
Wait, sorry, I didn't understand that you moved your system dataset to a USB drive. Yes, that is a bad idea. It would be better to put it on a SSD because it does get some activity, much more than the USB drive is able to deal with.

You can just put the system dataset on the boot pool instead of having an additional unit for it.

Last edited:

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
While replacing the USB with an SSD may prevent future errors and I will likely do that as soon as I can get my hands on another one -- that still leaves me with the question of what is this file, rrd-76c11d7f8a944b3d8e42fe35420dbaa3:<0x97>? Is it a log file or something else?

Also, will moving the .system dataset to another dataset clear the error?

Most important question at this point is how to fix and clear the error?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Also, will moving the .system dataset to another dataset clear the error?

Most important question at this point is how to fix and clear the error?
It is my understanding, that when you 'move' the system dataset using the GUI, it actually creates a new system dataset at the new location, starts using it and then deletes the old system dataset from the old location because it is where the system keeps things for operations and I do not know what that specific file is.

PS. You should be able to move the system dataset to the boot pool, shutdown the server, remove the USB drive and when you boot back into FreeNAS, the error should be gone.

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
I was unaware you could put the system dataset on the boot pool. I previously read that nothing could share the same drive the boot partition used. But as I think about it now - that must mean no other partition on the drive.

Does moving .system to the boot pool mean putting it inside the boot partition.... in my case on the King Dian 16GB SSD?

If so will 16GB be enough or should I get a larger SSD?

Volume001 = 3 - 250GB Drives in Z1 currently only 5% used

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
Ok, as a temporary fix I moved my system dataset to the boot pool. Then I removed the dotsystem volume. I then installed 3 - 32GB USB drives (recording their serial numbers) and set them up as a Z1 volume named dotsystem. I then moved the system dataset back to the new dotsystem volume. Should be good to go for a while until I can get my hands on another SSD.

But in retrospect moving the system dataset back to Volume001 would likely have produced better results. I now have an error on the boot pool.

zpool status -v command now reports an error on:
Pool: freenas-boot

<0x82>:<0xaf>

Either there are no corrupted files even though an error has been recorded and is being reported, or that <0x82>:<0xaf> means something important that I can not decipher. I have tried rebooting and the error persists.

Since this is on the boot pool went to system update and verified the install. This ran to completion and gave me an alert saying that there was a bad verification path and listed a folder (which I did not happen to wright down) I ran the install verification again and it completed without errors. I rebooted hoping to clear the error but no joy, the error persists. This may have been a red herring.

I am at a loss. What else can be done at this point short of reinstalling FreeNAS and importing my Zpool.

At this point the system is working normally. No data is in jeopardy as it is all backed up.

Any Suggestions?
What does the <0x82>:<0xaf> mean?

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard

<0x82>:<0xaf>

You're not the first user I've seen today to report a similar error. I'm not sure what it means, but I wanted to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.