Need Help with Permanent Errors Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
I have received the following error when I run: zpool status -v (see attached zpoolstatus.txt for full report)

Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
/var/db/system/update/base-os-11.1-RELEASE-8815a498ef028e9ba97ca6e1e9e75c74.tgz

Please Note: The system still runs, No drives are in error, I can access all my data on the system.

What is this tgz file?
Can it be replaced, rebuilt, or deleted?

Many Thanks,
Eric

System Information:
CPU - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3110 @ 3.00GHz (3000.03-MHz K8-class CPU)
Motherboard - Jetway TI41M
Memory - 8GB system memory
OS - FreeNAS 11 Stable
Boot drive - King Dian SSD 16GB
dotsystem - 3 32GB USB Drives in Z1
Volume001 - 3 250GB Drives in Z1

Attachments

• zpoolstatus.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 252

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is this tgz file?
Can it be replaced, rebuilt, or deleted?
It's the 11.1 update bundle. Question is how did it get corrupt?

I'd be running memtest86 on your memory to rule out a bad stick to start with.

And why the pool of USB drives?

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
Memory is not suspect in this situation however I will run memtest86 as you suggest to rule this out.

I had received a previous error report stating the following:

Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
dotsystem/.system/rrd-76c11d7f8a944b3d8e42fe35420dbaa3:<0x97>

(See post I made dated January 5th 2018 for details of that error.)

It was the USB drive used for .system that was suspect for that error. Chris Moore helped me with that situation. The solution was to move the .system from the USB drive and replace the USB drive with a new one and then move it back.

Since [as I understand it] the .system is usually on the first volume and may be a zfs volume, in my case volume001 (3 250 GB drives in Z1), I decided to use 3 32GB USB drives in Z1 for the dotsystem volume and move the .system onto it. In my thinking this is safer than having one single USB drive for the .system dataset and I can replace failed USB drives as they occur which are cheap compared to a SSD.

But somehow in moving the system dataset to the boot pool and then back onto the dotsystem volume (3 USB in Z1) something went wrong and afterward I began to receive the permanent errors on the /var/db/system/update/base-os-11.1-RELEASE-8815a498ef028e9ba97ca6e1e9e75c74.tgz

So the Question is... Since I am running 11.0 Stable and have not upgraded to 11.1... Can I delete the file and download the update again?

Last edited:

ES-Tinker

Dabbler
Turns out it was memory after all. Memtest86 picked up multiple memory faults on multiple sticks of memory. I consider myself lucky that nothing more was corrupted than the update file.

I have installed and throughly tested new memory and all looks good.

I deleted the update file and a short time later the system downloaded a new copy of the update file.

At this point I suspect that bad memory corrupted the .system dataset as well which was dealt with and recovered from in an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.