How to change link_power_management_policy and make it persistent?

serving_myself

Dabbler
Hello there,

I'd like to enable ALPM for my SATA HDDs by changing the /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy from max_performance to med_power_with_dipm or med_power (if the former will result in a degraded pool).
I wasn't able to find a sysctl for this and trying to run midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "kernel_extra_options": "link_power_management_policy=med_power_with_dipm" }' + reboot wasn't fruitful.

I'd use powertop for that, but the old version of it on Scale (from 2019) has this set to min_power, and this was changed later to med_power_with_dipm in this commit:

Could you please let me know what's the best method to do that?

P.S: I'm aware that this was changed to max_performance at some point in Scale because some people's pools became degraded and they had bunch of SATA errors in their logs.
However, based on my research so far I see that these were with slower disks (SMR and/or 5400rpm) which in theory could be at play as well. I can also see that for some people who had issues with med_power_with_dipm, the med_power was just as OK as max_performance.
This is new build w/o any data yet (only TM backup is sent there so far) so I'm willing to test this in my own env for the sake of low(er) power.

Last edited:

serving_myself

Dabbler
Bump :)

sretalla