how to change default cron jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyzanxia

Dabbler
Hello,

I noticed freenas runs default cron tasks, when I edited the crontab file in /etc.

Problem is they start running scheduled at 3 am, my machine starts at 6 am, so they never run.

I tried editing and saving the cron file, but after reboot its back to original :(
How to change the cron so it will stick after reboot?
(These scheduled tasks are not visible in the gui)

ps: these default tasks are daily/weeklymonthly reports, cachetool things etc..

Thanks

J

James

This would be a useful feature request for the GUI. Can you please create a ticket for it at support.freenas.org.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
I'm searching for a crontab solution on the forum without luck, so I solve myself the issue. I report here the solution so it can be usefull to other members.

Since FreeNAS 8.0 store the setting on the database, all the settings located on /etc will be restored on each reboot. To make persistent every changes the first step is setup writable the OS partition from console:

Code:
# mount -o rw /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a /

Then go to: /conf/base/etc and edit whatever you want (crontab, rc.conf and so on) using vi or nano:

Code:
# nano /conf/base/etc/crontab

When you've finished and correctly saved all the files, reboot FreeNAS, and all the changes will be there.

With the same method you can also edit /boot/loader.conf to tuning some ZFS settings like:
set vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=0
set vm.kmem_size=512M
set vm.kmem_size_max=530M

Hope it helps!
./Lucas

Durkatlon

Patron
Only thing to keep in mind is that this method will not survive an upgrade of the system to a different version of FreeNAS. So take note of these kinds of changes as you make them so you can redo them after an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.