Cron Jobs not Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbryo

Cadet
I searched as much as I could in the forum and couldn't find the answer and I double checked the manual to make sure I didn't miss any steps.

Not sure you need it but here is my system info:

Hostname freenas.southpark
Build FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Memory 4075MB
System Time Fri Oct 18 16:41:06 PDT 2013
Uptime 4:41PM up 2 days, 21:40, 1 user
Load Average 0.08, 0.03, 0.01
Connected through 192.168.1.54

I have two cron jobs setup however I don't think they are running. They are setup as root. I should probably set them up as a different user (my unix skills are subpar, i can move around the directory structure and change permissions, enough to be dangerous).

I found one post that shows the crontab here: /etc/crontab, but doesn't list the jobs I added.

I also found another post that shows logs here: /var/log

I checked the file cron by grep-ing for 'btsync' which is part of the command line but nothing. Then I decided to grep all the files for 'btsync' and got this:

dmesg.today:WARNING pid 4219 (btsync): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e
messages:Oct 15 19:04:18 freenas kernel: WARNING pid 4219 (btsync): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e

What I can gather from google searches it has to do with maybe a bug in the program. I've run it manually with the same command line as root and it starts up just fine. Warnings don't typically mean the program failed to start. So still haven't found anything to tell me why the jobs are not running. Maybe they are I just can't find the err logs for btsync.

Not sure where to go from here other than adding entries to the crontab on my own. Some posts in the forum indicate any changes will be overwritten since it is rebuilt from DB entries.

Some background of the jobs. I want to run BitTorrent Sync during the day and night but during the day I don't want it to use all my bandwidth so I run a different configuration file. One job kills btsync and starts it with the day time config and the second one kills btsync and start it with the night time config.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help is appreciated.

Brian

Yatti420

Wizard
I haven't checked out BTSync yet.. Is this suppose to be similiar to dropbox? BTSync a standalone app or required underlying Bit torrent client? In beta still? I'm assuming you haveBTSync inside a jail? Make sure your placing scripts etc in the jail and not outside (via gui) etc.. This would be an interesting plugin for FreeNAS..

mrbryo

Cadet
Bittorrent Sync just syncs between two computers; typically one way. My friend has a bunch of files that he doesn't backup. Just made sense to have an offsite backup. We share the files anyway. A jail? Ok, noob move on my part. Let me read up on that. Would be great if it was a plug in but I don't mind the challenge of getting it to work.

mrbryo

Cadet
I created a directory on the volume I created, uncompress the file in that directory and started it using the root account. I followed the directions here: http://blog.bittorrent.com/2013/06/17/bittorrent-sync-turning-your-old-computer-into-an-nas-drive/

I stopped following the directions where you find the quote below because I decided to add it to Init/Start Up Scripts with in the GUI console. May as well use the features of FreeNAS instead of hitting the command line if I can avoid it.

To run Sync, you can simply enter: ./btsync. To make things easier, lets make Sync run on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.