Cron jobs setup via UI do not run

Arimil

Cadet
I'm having issues with my cron jobs configured in system settings not actually running. As a demo I've setup the following cron job.

1707426415713.png

I would expect after waiting 1 minute, I would find a file in the root of the filesystem named `running.txt`, such file will never show up. If I manually run this job via clicking the play button in the UI the file will be created. I've dug around through the system files and don't actually see these cronjobs being setup anywhere, they show up in the UI but for example looking at the crontab, there are no entries for this. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but it's very clear that these jobs are not running at the intervals that the UI alludes that they are.

Code:
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file
# and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
# that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# Example of job definition:
# .---------------- minute (0 - 59)
# |  .------------- hour (0 - 23)
# |  |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
# |  |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ...
# |  |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  * user-name command to be executed
17 *    * * *   root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || { cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily; }
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || { cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly; }
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || { cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly; }

probain

Patron
They're located in /etc/cron.d/middleared
A little bit unclear. But they'll be labled "cronjob.run 1" or similar

Regards why your's doesn't seem to run. Try changing it from 0/1, to * instead. Or */X if you want it to runt every X-minutes.

Arimil

Cadet
That seemed to work, I have some others that I was suspicious were also not running on their intervals set as `0 0 * * *`, but I'll keep an eye on them since that takes longer to confirm.

probain

Patron
Code:
0 0 * * *
Will only run at midnight. Minute Zero at Hour Zero, every day, every week, every month. They will only run once per 24h. If you're not getting this, then they might be wrongly constructed in their syntax.