How to change console window resolution and font size?

Louis2

Contributor
Hello,

I am using modern small and relatively high resolution lcd monitor as truenas local console monitor. That hardly works:
- only a small part of the screen is used and
- the letters are much, much to small

So I hope there are setting somewhere to change
- the console screen resolution
- to chose a significant larger font size

I know that if the system is up and running for a lot of actions you could use a remote ssh console, but for some actions that is not a good option and you need access to the real local console.

Any option to change that local console in the requested way?

Louis

thewizard

Dabbler
The shell provided in the browser is just that a CSS/HTML representation of the command line. I guess it would be possible to write a feature to enhance it with more accessibility options but that would be a big thing to build for not many people (no offense!).

I'd suggest investigating enabling SSH on your FreeNAS/TrueNAS box under services and then using a tool like Putty (if you are on Windows) or some other SSH open source tool for Linux etc. Putty for example lets you set font size and console resolution (number of lines/width).

I use Putty to control my TrueNAS box from time to time, it's super powerful and faster than the web browser shell.

Louis2

Contributor
My question / problem is primarily related to the local console. Normally I access the system via a remote shell, however that is not always an option.

The screen resolution problem is of course also related to the used monitor. Most monitors are a) bigger and b) change their screen if there is a different input signal. However this monitor is a nice and small portable monitor, ...... with its limitation .... :mad:

So to a certain extend I am looking for a "workaround" for that. On the other hand .... command lines behave like it was 1970 .... and we are living 2021 :wink: