How to automatically backup pictures on a mobile phone to FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I've been checking out existing plugins for freenas and most solutions seem to be about syncing. I'm looking for a feature which I know Google Photos has and possible Dropbox too (as well as Plex freepass users) to automatically upload all pictures taken so that I can be sure that whenever I need space I can simply delete pics and I won't lose them.

Anyone does anything like this? What tools do you use?

ovizii

Patron
thanks but are you positive it has that feature of backing up one way? not interested in sync.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It has a photo option in the app on your phone for that purpose. I said nothing about syncing

ovizii

Patron
It has a photo option in the app on your phone for that purpose. I said nothing about syncing
Not saying you did, I just didn't have owncloud installed anymore so I asked again to make sure :smile:
I must have missed that option when I gave OC a try, a while back. Will go back and reinstall it.

@m0nkey_ hearing SMB share, how does this work? Did you instruct Foldershare to only map your shares while you are in your home wifi?

m0nkey_

MVP
@m0nkey_ hearing SMB share, how does this work? Did you instruct Foldershare to only map your shares while you are in your home wifi?
Correct, you can specify the SSID of your network so it'll attempt a sync when it's connected.

diedrichg

Wizard
BTSync. I have it set for my wife's iPhone as well as my Android. I then have the apps set so that syncing only happens when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. The phone app must be running to sync photos and videos.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The phone app must be running to sync photos and videos.
And therein lies the problem, it requires user intervention to work.

Anybody got anything that works without user intervention? I need something like this too but dumbed down to where I can set it up and the user doesn't have to touch anything to get it to work.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well I wish it were that easy for me. The warden has her pictures spread out in about 6 different locations on her phone. Technology and her don't get along well and unfortunately she brings me into the mix after shit breaks.

I need something stupid simple and hands off.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I just want to say that FolderSync (as m0nkey said) works great for this. You have a choice of protocols. I used webDAV (for the hell of it, really).

diedrichg

Wizard
FolderSync looks great! I'll give it a try. One thing I can't stand about BTSync is that you can't see what's actively being transferred so you never really know when its finished syncing.

Last edited:

snaptec

Guru
I have Many customers using nextcloud and the iphone App for this.
Just Upload is possible.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

adrianwi

Guru
Pretty sure Plex has this functionality but it might only be with a Plexpass account and not sure what control you have over where photos go.

m0nkey_

MVP
Let's be real here. OwnCloud takes more than just installing an app on a phone. You have to install/configure it on a server, keep it up to date and know how to fix it when it goes wrong.

People tend to forget the old adage; KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

Sometimes simple is the best answer ;)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Let's be real here. OwnCloud takes more than just installing an app on a phone. You have to install/configure it on a server, keep it up to date and know how to fix it when it goes wrong.

People tend to forget the old adage; KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

Sometimes simple is the best answer ;)
Op said it must be dumbed down for the phone side. They never said anything about ease of install on the server.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I installed nextcloud in a jail and set up the app on the wardens phone. Now to see if it automatically uploads without any user intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.