How to add disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdrifter

Cadet
Created a virtual machine on an ESXi 4.1.0 machine and installed FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591). Installed ok, but when entering GUI, I need to add/apply the disk before creating a volume. I can not find any places to mount the disk. Any documenation available on this??

Callaband

Cadet
Snowdrifter - I am having the same issue. Have you figured this out?

I had FreeNas 7x installed and running fine as a home server and wanted to try out 8x. I currently have FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x86 installed and the installation went great. Now that I'm in the GUI I am trying to add a volume, but nothing shows up. I am unable to Create Volume, Import Volume, or Auto Import Volume. When it tells me to select a member disk there is nothing in the list.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

peterh

Patron
is there any discs available ? use the command "camcontrol devlist" to see available disks. Om none is seen
camcontrol rescan might find them.

Amother source might be to examine dmesg ( dmesg | less ) to see what diskdevices are detected during boot
( you need to open up a terminal window to get access to commands)

Callaband

Cadet
There is an internal hd on this laptop.
dmesg shows the deskdevice. it states that its ada0:
When I type mount is shows /dev/md0, /dev/md1, /dev/md2, /dev/ufs/freenass1a, /dev/ufs/freenass4
when I type mount -t ufs /dev/md_ /mnt it tells me "Operation not permitted."

"Camcontrol devlist" shows the hard drive and cd-rom.
<samsung ___> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<DVD-ROM> at scbus1 targer 0 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)

peterh

Patron
if device is busy then it's unavailable
And i do not see any point int running freenas on a laptop with a single drive. Are you a troll ?

Callaband

Cadet
FreeNas 7 worked great on the same laptop with all the same parts less than 24 hours ago so I don't understand why 8 would be any different. I guess adding a drive would fix the issue, but I've been playing around with this far to long. Time to try something else.

BTW - I don't understand the question, "Are you a troll?" So if your referring to me as living under a bridge because I'm clueless, hah, then I guess I am!

Thanks for the info peterh!

Callaband

Cadet
Peterh - Your a genius! I packed everything up and put the laptop away counting it as a loss, but then I got to thinking what you said, "i do not see any point in running freenas on a laptop with a single drive."

And your right, so I plugged in an SD card to a USB slot and BOOM! I got my "Member disk" (volume) to show up. The internal hard drive still doesn't show up, but all I have to do now is hook up an external usb hard drive and I'm good!

Thanks for putting a seed in my brain Peterh!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Callaband,

Did you install FreeNAS to the internal disk in the laptop? If I'm understanding the way you have your hardware configured properly that's the problem......you can't have the system & data reside on the same disk.

Install FreeNAS to a USB key & boot off that and see if the disk can be seen.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.