Moving drive to new SATA channel and ZFS backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcrampton

Dabbler
I have a 2x2TB ZFS RAID mirror using ada0p2 and ada1p2. I want to move one disk to ada3p2 due to some of my motherboard channels supporting hot swap and others not.

My understanding is that this is a change in vdevs assigned to a zpool. I *think* I need to export the volume (don't mark for erase and don't delete shares related to this volume). Then power down, move either disk to ada3p2, power up and auto-import the pool. FreeNAS will automagically know how to bring in the pool, the data sets, map to the shares, etc. so it will look as if nothing ever happened other than the vdev # changing.

Before doing this I will do a complete backup of the system. I will add a single 2TB disk into its own pool and replicate my ZFS, checking the two check boxes for "recursive replicate..." and "initialize for once...". That will back up my entire ZFS mirror to this new disk.

Is there any reason I should upgrade before or after doing all of this (I'm on FreeNAS 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64)?

Thanks, you guys are great,
Ray

Configuration:
FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591)
M/B: ASUS AT5NM10T-I
2x2TB Mirror RAID using ZFS
4GB RAM

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
i have never had a problem just powering down the system and swapping the ports. i have never exported anything. the system doesnt rely on what port you are connected to, the signatures of everything are on the disks themselves, so as long as the system can read the disk it doesnt matter.

i have been doing that for years on freenas and linux boxes. even windows doesnt care.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't have to worry about what ports are in use. That's one of the main reasons for using ZFS! Even if you switch to a different controller on a different motherboard it would just work.

As for your upgrading, you should have upgraded back when the 8.0.4-p3 was released. That update was ONLY to fix a security risk.

rcrampton

Dabbler
Worked like a champ. It all makes a little more sense now. Noobsauce - thanks for the guide writeup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.