How to access Kubernetes apps?

da-anda

Dabbler
Hey, I just can't get my head around Kubernetes. It's all fine an well to be able to build a huge scaleable cluster and what not, but at least for my taste, just going with default settings when installing things should at least give a basic working result on which you can build.

I however am unable to find out what I need to do to access any of the apps I am trying to install, be it official apps like nextcloud or apps from TrueCharts like vaultwarden. I configure the app to the best of my knowledge, assign file mounts etc and go with the default settings for the ports and networking stuff. But when I then start the container and click the button to open the webinterface, a new tab is opening with the IP of my host and the configured port (which is what I expected) but there simply is nothing there. The port is not mapped to the pod.

I tried to change some IPv4 settings in the "advanced settings" panel, but had no luck as nothing seems to work. The official SCALE documentation also doesn't really explain what each of the configuration options mean and what to put there. I do not need a reverse proxy with nice and shiny URLs for now, nor do I want this stuff to be accessible from the internet, just local IP + custom port would be fine for now.

So what am I missing? What do I need to do to be able to access any of the pods via their custom port over the hosts IP? My Google foo doesn't seem to be good enough, or I simply can't find the correct search terms. Thanks.

stavros-k

Patron
If you need any help with TrueCharts apps feel free to contact us in our support channels.
Please take a minute or two and read the rules and descriptions of each channel :)

da-anda

Dabbler
it's not limited to TrueCharts. I also couldn't access official ones like Nextcloud. A friend mentioned that I need to enable the stock loadbalancer in the K8s settings, which I now did, but for some reason TrueNAS won't deploy any app anymore (not even the stock ones). All I get is error messages like
Code:
0/1 nodes are available: 1 node(s) had taint {node.kubernetes.io/not-ready: }, that the pod didn't tolerate

truecharts

Guru
it's not limited to TrueCharts. I also couldn't access official ones like Nextcloud. A friend mentioned that I need to enable the stock loadbalancer in the K8s settings, which I now did, but for some reason TrueNAS won't deploy any app anymore (not even the stock ones). All I get is error messages like
Code:
0/1 nodes are available: 1 node(s) had taint {node.kubernetes.io/not-ready: }, that the pod didn't tolerate

It's really best if you start a thread to get such information, so people don't need to assume what might (or might not) be the problem ;-)

da-anda

Dabbler
sorry, I don't get your reply. Are your being sarcastic? I started this thread because I have no clue what to do. And if you need more information just tell me which info.

For now I just reverted everything, so removed the assigned pool, deleted the `ix-applications` zvol, removed the TrueCharts catalog and from what I can tell reset everything back to default. It's the second or third time I do this, since I still get aforementioned `1 nodes(1) had taint..` error, regardless which app I tried to start (so deployment of any pod just doesn't work anymore).

My Kubernetes settings are:
  • Node IP: 0.0.0.0
  • Route to v4 interface: empty
  • Route v4 Gateway: empty
  • [x] Enable Container image updates
  • [x] enable GPU support
  • [x] Enable integrated loadbalancer
  • Cluster-Settings all untouched and default
After resetting everything like mentioned above, I just assigned a pool again, installed the official nextcloud app, see in the info dialog of the app that the two related docker images are fetched and the latest version, but once again get this `1 nodes(1) had taint..` error.

truecharts

Guru
sorry, I don't get your reply. Are your being sarcastic? I started this thread because I have no clue what to do. And if you need more information just tell me which info.

For now I just reverted everything, so removed the assigned pool, deleted the `ix-applications` zvol, removed the TrueCharts catalog and from what I can tell reset everything back to default. It's the second or third time I do this, since I still get aforementioned `1 nodes(1) had taint..` error, regardless which app I tried to start (so deployment of any pod just doesn't work anymore).

My Kubernetes settings are:
  • Node IP: 0.0.0.0
  • Route to v4 interface: empty
  • Route v4 Gateway: empty
  • [x] Enable Container image updates
  • [x] enable GPU support
  • [x] Enable integrated loadbalancer
  • Cluster-Settings all untouched and default
After resetting everything like mentioned above, I just assigned a pool again, installed the official nextcloud app, see in the info dialog of the app that the two related docker images are fetched and the latest version, but once again get this `1 nodes(1) had taint..` error.
Well, this problem is rather easy:
You've encountered a bug by iX systems middleware, so you should file a bugreport.

But this wasn't clear with your issues because you didn't share the vital information before @StavrosMadK pointed towards us :)

bar1

Contributor
Can you guys point me in the right direction how to start with Kubernetes and scale?
i have a few apps installed and i now installed a second server