How should I configure 14 3tb drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Goldthwaite

Dabbler
I kind of quit working on my new FreeNAS machine because I got discouraged. I had built it with 12 2tb drives in a big RaidZ2 array. I found out that that specific number of drives makes for a very inefficient array.

I added a 13th drive and it looked like I got most of the missing space back but when I copied my files from the old NAS to the new one, they took up a lot more space. My old NAS had 9 3tb drives. The new one had 13. After copying the data over the new NAS has less available space than the old one. It's like I lost more than 4 drives of space. That's when I got discouraged and took some time off.

I'm ready to try again. This time I'm thinking of creating the array with 7 vdevs made up of two mirrored 3tb arrays each. No RaidZ just 7 mirrored sets. Any advice or thoughts?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs? Read the rules. Possible good options are 2vdevs with 7disks each in raidz3 or 2vdevs of 6drives in raidz2.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Joe Goldthwaite

Dabbler
Asrock C2750D4i motherboard with 16gb ECC ram. It's got 12 SATA ports and I've added a four port SATA adapter to the only PCI slot so I could hook up an additional two drives.

Edit: Freenas 9.10

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Asrock C2750D4i motherboard with 16gb ECC ram. It's got 12 SATA ports and I've added a four port SATA adapter to the only PCI slot so I could hook up an additional two drives.

Edit: Freenas 9.10
Actually that board only has 6 maybe 8 usable sata ports. The 4 Marvell SE9230 ports do not work under freebsd. Also sata cards are usually a bad idea. You should use a hba card and forwards break out cable to add sata ports.

Also tell us what HDD you have, what your storage needs are and what workflows you use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CraigD

Patron
I am confused

You complain about storage capacity of RAIDz2 losing less than 20% of your space

Your looking into faster, less redundant, storage solution that you can use less than 50% of space?

Depending on your use case, Mirrors can be beneficial. If you need the speed great choice, if you desire capacity not so much

SATA port availability is not really an issue, if you can add an HBA

Have Fun

gpsguy

How did you add the 13th drive? Hopefully you didn't add it as a single drive into your existing volume. If so, should that disk fail, you will lose your entire volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Goldthwaite

Dabbler
I am confused
You complain about storage capacity of RAIDz2 losing less than 20% of your space

I'm not really complaining. It's just that I had an old FreeNAS box with 9 3tb drives in Raid2Z. When I built the new one with 12 3tb drives in Raid3Z I expected to go from 14tb of usable space to 20tb. I didn't. I ended up with 16tb. SweetAndLow posted this link to explain it. That's why I added an extra drive to bump it up to 13. According to that article, 13 drives would be more efficient. I ended up with a little more that 20tb of space.

When I started copying the data over though, it looks like each file is taking up more space than it does on the 9 drive NAS. Once all the files copied over, I had less free space on the 20tb box than I did on the 14tb box. I don't know why but my current configuration of 13 drives in a large Raid3z array just isn't working.

I've since read that mirroring the drives is better than Raidz. If you lose a drive it's much quicker to rebuild the mirror. If you want to add space it's easier. Upgrading the array is easier. This spells it out.

I'm not worried about performance. I'd like as much space as possible *but* creating a big RaidZ pool doesn't seem to be giving me that. Since I was only one drive away from having 7 mirrored vdevs and that would give me my 20tb, I thought I'd try that. I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts before I actually went ahead and did it.

gpsguy said:
How did you add the 13th drive? Hopefully you didn't add it as a single drive into your existing volume. If so, should that disk fail, you will lose your entire volume.

Don't worry. All my data is on my old NAS so I can wipe the new one and re-copy the data. That's what I've done with all my changes.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Joe Goldthwaite

Dabbler
Hi depasseg. That calculator doesn't take into account the efficiency problem mentioned above. It thinks my 12 drive array would give me 19.33TiB of usable space. I actually got about 3TiB less than that.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Ahh, interesting. And mirrors don't suffer from that same efficiency problem?

Joe Goldthwaite

Dabbler
Ahh, interesting. And mirrors don't suffer from that same efficiency problem?
I honestly don't know. A 13 drive array had a lot more space than a 12 drive array. The space disappeared when I coped my files over to it though. I'm hoping that a pool made up of 7 mirrored vdevs will work more like my old drive made up of 9 disks in RaidZ2. I guess I'll have to try it to find out.

P.S Sorry, I've been describing my old NAS wrong. It's made up of 9 2tb drives in a RaidZ2. That's where my 14TiB is coming from.

VladTepes

Patron
This time I'm thinking of creating the array with 7 vdevs made up of two mirrored 3tb arrays each. No RaidZ just 7 mirrored sets. Any advice or thoughts?

Leaving speed aside for a moment....
With your example (if I understand it correctly) there is only a single drive redundancy in any given vDev. Failure of any VDev will kill your pool. Risky.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Leaving speed aside for a moment....
With your example (if I understand it correctly) there is only a single drive redundancy in any given vDev. Failure of any VDev will kill your pool. Risky.
Correct. I am running some Mirror vDevs for VM Storage, however I try to maintain 1 Hot Spare for every 2 Mirrors I use.

Kinda janky but does give a little more security. Think if it as a pseudo 3 Way Mirror in a relaxed sense. Also, I have Cold Spares that are readily available.

Others run 3 Way Mirrors which is safer but at a higher cost in disks.

Lastly, keep in mind that Mirrors Re-Silver a heck of a lot faster.

VladTepes

Patron
" Mirrors Re-Silver a heck of a lot faster".- Yes, there is that.

Murac

Dabbler
Actually that board only has 6 maybe 8 usable sata ports. The 4 Marvell SE9230 ports do not work under freebsd. Also sata cards are usually a bad idea. You should use a hba card and forwards break out cable to add sata ports.

I've got the 2550 version of that board and I use some of the Marvel ports. They also worked but gave errors. I updated the marvell firmware and the errors went away. granted i never had 12 drives plugged in but yeah, worked for me.

Read SMART Error Log Failed after every test [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.