How is rsync authenticating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morty

Cadet
I have two FreeNAS boxes setup, one as my main NAS and the second is for rsync backups.

FreeNAS #1 has two users (me and an rsync user)
FreeNAS #2 has one user (me)

I setup an rsync task on FreeNAS #1 and setup an rsync daemon on FreeNAS #2.

FreeNAS #1 is using the rsync user in the task.

FreeNAS #1 shouldn't be able to authenticate to #2 because #2 doesn't have the rsync user or a rsyncd.secrets file setup, but somehow #1 is successfully rsyncing to #2.

Can someone please explain?

ProtoSD

MVP
I setup an rsync task on FreeNAS #1 and setup an rsync daemon on FreeNAS #2.

Hi Morty,

Just so we're on the same page, can you clarify what you mean for task and daemon?

FreeNAS has the Rsync Service Modules, is that what you mean for daemon?

And the task, is that a cron job on your other FreeNAS?

morty

Cadet
Just so we're on the same page, can you clarify what you mean for task and daemon?

Correct.

FreeNAS #1 is using this:

R6AeJ.png

This is how the task is setup:

crRd3.png

A1vO3.png

And FreeNAS #2 is using a module setup like this:

QCAox.png

FreeNAS #2 doesn't have the rsync user but somehow FreeNAS #1 is successfully rsyncing to FreeNAS #2.

Any ideas?

morty

Cadet
After additional troubleshooting, I've nailed it down further. I can create a brand new user on my FreeNAS #1 box, let's call him John. If I make "wheel" the primary group ID for John (even if John isn't actually a member of "wheel", then he can rsync to FreeNAS #2 even if FreeNAS #2 does not have the "John" user added (I'm using local users, not LDAP/Radius/AD).

As soon as I take the primary group ID of "wheel" off of the "John" user, he can't rsync to FreeNAS #2 anymore. It this intended behaviour? It seems like it shouldn't be.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes :-(
Freenas support security auth to service rsync ???
If you have a question, ask it intelligibly in a new thread. Do not reply to a thread that has been dead for five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.