SOLVED How does Truenas work? How do you back up data for a laymen?

Set up Truenas. I made a Truenas config back up. Pool is arrange in Raid 1 - 14TB. My 14TB pool is degraded and I am running a scrub.

My question is, I know in the field of data, failure is to be expected. In all my research and searching around, I see alot about troubles setting up and someone losing data, but not too much about pre-emptively preparing for the failures. What I want to know is just clarification on why things work or how they work. Like I read somewhere to back up your Truenas Config, and I understand that because you would need to have the accounts and pools named and mapped the same. I have a RAID set up to mirror the other but if 1 fails wouldn't that mean they both fail? I understand how to stripped RAIDS work but I just dont have the money for that ammount of drives for the ammount of data I have.

I am currently scrubbing my pool because my pool was degraded. I believe it is my fault because I am constantly shutting off and on the NAS and moving it around. But in the event of a failure, what is the proper way to get your data back? Like if it were stripped? What do I do?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This depends heavily on how exactly you set up your TrueNAS. Unfortunately you did not provide nearly enough information to get a valid impression of your system. Please take a moment to read the forum rules linked at the top of each page in red. Then provide a detailed description of your setup.

Also please try to use proper terminology - which is one reason why your initial post is rather confusing. TrueNAS does not do RAID. It does ZFS. Not the same, not even remotely similar.

You might want to read the ZFS Primer for that.

So we would need:

- number of pools
- disks in each pool
- vdevs in each pool
- configuration of each vdev

etc.

Thank you.

irTwit

Dabbler
Some replicate their data to an offsite server.

I have a small RAIDZ2 6x2TB pool. My backup method involves replicating hourly/daily sanpshots to a single-drive pool located in a trayless SATA/SAS drive bay.

Every 1-2 weeks I swap it out with another drive then silica gel + ESD bag it. I have three drives in the rotation, (drive bay >> work desk drawer >> car trunk >> drive bay). All drives encrypted and each gets at least one scrub while in the tray.

I have a PowerShell/API script that assists with the drive swap. It stops/starts replication and scrub tasks, and exports/imports the pool.

Last edited: